Boil kettle/sparge volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msu05

Reaction score
I just got the Arrogant Bastard clone through AHS. I've done 3 all grain batches to this point so I'm still somewhat new at this. In the directions from AHS it says "don't run off more than 6.25 gallons of wort." It then says when wort is cooled after boil to add enough cold water into the fermenter to get a total volume of 5.25 gallons.

Now all 3 batches I've made so far I've batch sparged until I get around 7.5 gallons of wort which gives about 5.25 gallons after boiling. This has taken a few attempts to zero in on with my boil evaporation loss.

I'm wondering if one method is better than the other or if they're one in the same? This is the first I've heard of adding water after boil to get desired volume.

I just got the Arrogant Bastard clone through AHS. I've done 3 all grain batches to this point so I'm still somewhat new at this. In the directions from AHS it says "don't run off more than 6.25 gallons of wort." It then says when wort is cooled after boil to add enough cold water into the fermenter to get a total volume of 5.25 gallons.

Now all 3 batches I've made so far I've batch sparged until I get around 7.5 gallons of wort which gives about 5.25 gallons after boiling. This has taken a few attempts to zero in on with my boil evaporation loss.

I'm wondering if one method is better than the other or if they're one in the same? This is the first I've heard of adding water after boil to get desired volume.

Hmmm, maybe it's a concern for oversparging? You should have plenty of grain though, so I can't see that being an issue. How many pounds of grain did you get?

Back