Using spring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate4g63

Reaction score
I have a natural spring that is my water supply where I live. Should I treat it like tap water or is it alrite to use as is? It tastes fantastic and I never see any type of contaminents in my glasses of water.

with extract, go for it 100%

If your doing all grain I wouldn't sweat it at first but as I got better at doing it (or if I got an unexplained off flavor) and wanted to dial in all my parameters then I would send a sample off to be analyzed and them I might adjust it according to John Palmer in "How to brew"

But that is some pretty advanced stuff - I wouldn't worry about it until I had 90% of the other variables dialed in

That is just my personal opinion

You may learn more about your local water, including your spring, by checking your county water boards website. Hopefully they maintain a site.

The local one here goes into great detail about the aquifer and how it filters through this and that rock layers and whats in it in what concentrations and so on and so forth. Check the googles :)

Back