1028 London Ale Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
So the conventional wisdom with this yeast is to ferment it at about 68 degrees. Wyeast gives a range of 60-72 degrees.

I'm curious what other people's results were with this yeast. I'm thinking about pitching cold (pitching at 60 and letting it rise up to 65ish) because I am don't want too much esters but at the same time I'm looking for about 75% attenuation.

It's a fairly clean yeast. You shouldn't have to worry much about esters at 68. I've used it at 68 before and it gives off a little bit of fruitiness, but that's to be expected out of an english ale.

Definitely keep it below 70 if you want to avoid esters. Above 70 it starts to give off a good amount of banana esters. I've fermented a bitter with it at 64-66 and it worked very well, quite clean.

I pitch around 65*F and keep fermentation below 68*F with this strain and always have great results. Even at 65*F, it's a very vigorous fermenter, and will usually blow off. It's quite a bit cleaner than WLP007 or WLP002 at the same temps. This is my house yeast for American IPA and IIPA, as well as Imperial Stout.

I pitch around 65*F and keep fermentation below 68*F with this strain and always have great results. Even at 65*F, it's a very vigorous fermenter, and will usually blow off. It's quite a bit cleaner than WLP007 or WLP002 at the same temps. This is my house yeast for American IPA and IIPA, as well as Imperial Stout.

I pitched at 64 degrees. Right now it is about 70 degrees. I'm also really glad I have a blow off hooked up....

Back