Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I do like Bobby_M for some things I would advise against making any vendor your only source for a project. I really like Bobby's refractometer but I think NorCal has a superior false bottom setup/design. Its not the cheapest but, IMO, its the best (or damned close to it). Ball valves can be had from many vendors with most selling the exact same item. Bargain Fittings has some really nice prices there. Many vendors also offer at rate shipping that gets you the items within a few days, even going coast to coast.

Shop smarter not easier is a better method IMO/IME.

I had been under the impression that bargain fittings was the cheapest source for the material i need. After comparing the two bobby is the cheapest on all it by at least a dollar or two from the couplers to the 3 piece valves. Tack on top only one shipping cost and it is the smarter way to go. I also looked at norcal and they two were more expensive on everything. I am assuming that quality is the same on these simple premanufactured stainless items

I had been under the impression that bargain fittings was the cheapest source for the material i need. After comparing the two bobby is the cheapest on all it by at least a dollar or two from the couplers to the 3 piece valves. Tack on top only one shipping cost and it is the smarter way to go. I also looked at norcal and they two were more expensive on everything. I am assuming that quality is the same on these simple premanufactured stainless items

Not sure what you are looking at but our 3 piece valves are cheaper by $1.00 and our weldless keg kits with a valve are $1-$2 lower price as well.

I've looked at a few of our more popular component costs and they have been adjusted to be more competitive.

Our flat rate shipping is $5.00 no matter the quantity.
Load the shopping carts and compare. We try to stay as competitive as possible.

We also ship within a single business day!

Not sure what you are looking at but our 3 piece valves are cheaper by $1.00 and our weldless keg kits with a valve are $1-$2 lower price as well.

I've looked at a few of our more popular component costs and they have been adjusted to be more competitive.

Our flat rate shipping is $5.00 no matter the quantity.
Load the shopping carts and compare. We try to stay as competitive as possible.

We also ship within a single business day!

Thank you for the response.i will do just that this afternoon. I am a union steelworker so the wlding is not an issue, with that considered i looked at welded couplers, stainless t, nipple, valve, diptube, and sightglass. I did not howvere take inyo account the flat rate shipping. Both companies have top notch reviews so i am confident in the quality of both. I will check out final cart costsand place my order today!

Edit:i sorry about the spelling. Trying to do this from my phone at work...lol

I have my keggle cut open and ready for the ball valve. My question is, if this will be used only as a kettle do i need to have a false bottom? Is there a benefit to having one? I use a 10 gal. Igloo for my mash tun and it works great. And will a down spout get in the way of an immersion wort chiller?

The only benefit I see from a false bottom on a boil kettle would be to filter out whole hops. I use a side pickup tube on my keggle and have no issues with using an immersion chiller.

image-1656134762.jpg

I picked up a kettle screen that screws into the ball valve keeps most the hop gunk out at a fraction of the cost of a false bottom.
Hope that helps

I have my keggle cut open and ready for the ball valve. My question is, if this will be used only as a kettle do i need to have a false bottom? Is there a benefit to having one? I use a 10 gal. Igloo for my mash tun and it works great. And will a down spout get in the way of an immersion wort chiller?

IME, a false bottom is really only worth anything when used in a mash tun. I don't use one in my keggle, but I do use a hop spider. IME, that's a far better option between the two. I would consider getting the all stainless item preduced by Stainless Brewing as another option. You can also look at the filter system offered by Brewers Hardware. But, you can make a hop spider (using a nylon bag, but the rest all stainless) for less money.

With my hop spider I have zero issues running the wort through a DD plate chiller. I also can have the dip tube in my keggle closer to the bottom of the cone, unlike what you can do with the screw-in screens. I leave very little wort behind in the keggle with each batch.

Back