stuck fermentation... or just slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
Today I wanted to rack from primary - 10 gal bucket- to a secondary carboy. Just like I have done with most of my previous batches I am doing this after 7 days in the primary.

The problem is that I have a really high SG of 1.036.

Background:
My OG was 1.064.
I pitched a rehydrated package of s-05 on brew day.
This is my 12th batch, but only my 2nd AG.
Everything went normal with the brew day except i had a boil over. I was inside when it happened so i didn't catch it right away but measuring the wort volume I didn't lose that much wort.

I have 2 questions -

1) Do you think fermentation is stuck? Or just slow? If stuck what are the next steps.

2) I had transfered about 1 Gal into the carboy when i finally looked at the hydrometer. I immediately halted the siphon, switched fermenter positions and transfered back into primay bucket. Do you see any ill effects from that?

Thanks!

Leave it be. You can't make your beer follow a schedule and tell it "You need to finish in 6 days because I'm racking on the 7th." Wait for the ferment to finish and after you know it's at the FG and stable, then you can track to secondary. It's even better to give it a week after it's done for the yeast to finish cleaning up byproducts. You'll get better beer if you do.

Well, its hard for me to tell if it is stuck or slow. My suggestion would be to gently rouse the yeast and make sure its in a warm spot. (around 70). Let it sit for a few more days and check the gravity again. If it is 1.036 again, you know its stuck, not just slooooow.

I just got a few questions....you said this is your second all grain, what was your mash temp? Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Was the yeast fresh? Did you make sure that the hydrometer wasn't stuck to the side of the test tube and did you give it a spin. I know some of this somes pretty basic, but sometimes its the little things you overlook that could be the problem.

Keep us posted!

Well, its hard for me to tell if it is stuck or slow. My suggestion would be to gently rouse the yeast and make sure its in a warm spot. (around 70). Let it sit for a few more days and check the gravity again. If it is 1.036 again, you know its stuck, not just slooooow.

I just got a few questions....you said this is your second all grain, what was your mash temp? Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Was the yeast fresh? Did you make sure that the hydrometer wasn't stuck to the side of the test tube and did you give it a spin. I know some of this somes pretty basic, but sometimes its the little things you overlook that could be the problem.

Keep us posted!

Let me see if i can give you some answers:

My mash temp started at 153. I lost 1-2 degrees over 60 mins.

I have not calibrated my hydrometer. Not ever. Do you have a link on steps to do this?

I can't speak to the freshness of the yeast. I bought it from an online retailer about 2 months ago. I've kept it in the fridge. I used a packet from the same order for my last brew and had no issues.

I still have the hydrometer in the tube and have dropped it in and out a few times. I don't think that is an issue but don't feel bad to throw those questions out there. We've all been known to overlook the obvious.

My brew room temperature is usually pretty cold. Around 62. I could turn on the heat if getting it up to 70 might kick start the fermentation again.

Let me see if i can give you some answers:

My mash temp started at 153. I lost 1-2 degrees over 60 mins.

I have not calibrated my hydrometer. Not ever. Do you have a link on steps to do this?

I can't speak to the freshness of the yeast. I bought it from an online retailer about 2 months ago. I've kept it in the fridge. I used a packet from the same order for my last brew and had no issues.

I still have the hydrometer in the tube and have dropped it in and out a few times. I don't think that is an issue but don't feel bad to throw those questions out there. We've all been known to overlook the obvious.

My brew room temperature is usually pretty cold. Around 62. I could turn on the heat if getting it up to 70 might kick start the fermentation again.

Your mash temps look good, shouldn't be causing you any problems. Calibrating your hydrometer is easy, all you have to do is fill the tube up with 60 degree water, then check and verify that it reads 1.000. If it doesn't you'll need to adjust accordingly. As for your fermentation temps. 62 isn't bad, I try and keep my fermentations in that range, but that would be the first place I'd look into changing. I have a Pliny the Elder in my primary and it's been 2 weeks, so I was going to rack to the secondary, but my SG was 1.016 - tad higher than I wanted. I moved the fermenter upstairs for 3 days, checked again, and its at 1.012...what I was shooting for. That seemed to be the ticket for me, just raising the temp up a couple degrees.

I'd give it a day or two and check the SG again to see if it's still where it's at now. It could just be taking it's time. If it is stuck then a couple degree rise might hlep.

I checked the hydrometer. It might be off but only by .001.

I'll bump up the temp a few degrees and let it sit for a few days.

I promise to report back. Thanks for the help!

Back