Therminator autosiphon question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPB

Reaction score
I'm a beginning extract brewer (seems redundant). I've brewed several times and am considering a wort chiller instead of an ice bath. I was considering the therminator as my first big brewing purchase but the more I read the more I realized I would need to invest in a hop stopper, add on a ball valve to my pot and possibly a pump. I'm pretty lazy and don't have the money for all the extra's (hop stopper etc.). Is it possible or recommended to use an autosiphon to the primary with the therminator. Is there a more effective way than whirlpooling to filter the trub from the wort using the autosiphon so that I could use the therminator? And finally, is it even safe to use the autosiphon in 212 degree wort to begin with?

You will melt your autosiphon! I promise!

You can use gravity feed with a plate chiller, but your cooling water will have to be cold enough to get your wort to pitching temps with one pass. And you will need a ball valve, weldless kits work pretty well and aren't too expensive. A simple hop bag rig made from a paint strainer and a few dollars worth of hardware will keep hops out of the chiller.

Still, an IC is certainly the cheapest solution, and the path of least resistance.

Use a ss racking cane with a T-siphon (saw a post by FlyGuy) to the therminator then off to the primary. I'll use thermoplastic tubing instead of the regular stuff and I believe they make something called a sure screen for the racking cane to keep out the hops and trub.

Second vote for an DIY IC chiller. Or a CFC if you really like building stuff. Neither are hard to make and can save you some $$ too.

Both types have their pros and cons, and they have been argued ad nauseam around here. Personally, I like the awesum cooling ability of a good CFC and cold tap water, but the IC is very popular and does the job almost as good.

Forgot to mention that the T-siphon looks to be a good tool and I plan on making one myself. Or you can dip your siphon hose in sanitizer (starsan) or boiled water and create then move quickly to the kettle to get the siphon started. Takes practice. YMMV.

Back