ranco thermostat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
so after getting some wildly inaccurate temperature readings this past week from my ranco thermostat, i did a little searching and found that the probe is not submersible like i thought it was. have i done irreversible damage to the probe or is there some way to re-calibrate it and get accurate readings?

the readings i'm getting are consistent, but about 30 degrees off.

I would try to try the probe out. I would preheat the stove to 220 and let it warm up, TURN OFF THE STOVE and then put the probe in there to dry out.

If this does not work you might need another probe.

I didn't realize this, either. Just searched and found Ranco sells 3/8" PVC heat shrink tubing for just this purpose. They also recommend silicone.

I bought some 3/8" soft copper (smaller than regular 3/8" copper) in the 'handy lengths' and used that to make a thermowell. It's the perfect size and the copper transfers the temperature pretty fast. I think I used a 1/4" end cap on one end to cap it off. Depending on what you're using it for, this may be a good solution for you.

Back