Newb question about boil size...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgull8502

Reaction score
My next brew will be BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I'm going to be making the extract version of it and I'm just wondering how much water I should boil with.

Can I use any amount of water I want to start off? Typically I think I use 1.5 to 2 gallons of water with the malt extract.

Another quick question while I'm at it. My local shop has carapils that is marked as 10-14 L which is higher than the 2SRM in the recipe. Will this only make a difference in color? Should I bother scaling down or just keep the 1 pound.

Carapils doesn't really give any color anyway, so don't worry about the L. I'm not sure as to the boil size- does the recipe say what size boil?

Alright, I figured the carapils wasn't a problem. The recipe says "Boil Size: 6.57 gal" which had me confused.

I'm leaving shortly, so I ran it as a 2 gallon boil. You'll want to use .75 ounce of centennial at 45 minutes, and .50 ounce of centennial at 20 minutes. Otherwise, the recipe is the same.

A smaller boil decreases the hops utilization, so you have to increase the bittering hops a bit to get the same effect.

I looked up the past two recipes I used and they had 1.5 gallons of water boiled with6-7 pounds of liquid malt. On my last brew the pot was pretty full, so maybe 1.5 gallons is better.

Perhaps its almost time for an upgrade!

ok, for a 1.5 gallon boil, you'll want a full ounce of centennial at 45 minutes, and .75 ounces of centennial at 20 minutes to get to about 17 IBUs. You'll keep the rest of the recipe the same.

Latest posts

Back