setting up a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
So I am about to get my system up and running and my last purchase is a pump. My question is what do all of you use to connect tubing to the pump and fittings? I am using cam locks so I would like the tubing to be attached fairly permanently. There has to be a better way than hose barbs

You already committed to camlocks so stick to that?

campumpapplication.jpg

Of course, there's always the option of putting barbs on and clamping the tubing, but I find it a lot of easier to work with hose assemblies that can be disconnected from the pump during priming and cleanup.

I did the same exact thing that Bobby posted except 2-piece ball valve instead of a 3-piece (even the same pump).

A question from a relative "newbie": why is there a valve on the output side? I thought the output from the pump should be unrestricted? I'm probably misunderstanding the purpose of the valve.

pincorrect said:
A question from a relative "newbie": why is there a valve on the output side? I thought the output from the pump should be unrestricted? I'm probably misunderstanding the purpose of the valve.

Input should be unrestricted to avoid cavitation. Output is usually ok, but may depend on the pump.

Also need to validate what size pipe the pump expects on the input side...I know the chuggers want 1/2".

I have no barbs in my system. I have 1/2" ID/3/4" OD silicone tubing stretched over the threads of type B camlocks (for straight runs), or I use a type B with a 1/2" stainless street elbow and stretch the tubing over the male threads of the elbow, for 90° runs (like coming off the ball valves on HLT/MLT/BK).

For example, if you change the type D camlock to a type B like this
camlockb-250x250.jpg
the tubing goes right on the camlock threads. Otherwise, the pump section of my setup is similar to what Bobby pictured...

Cheers!

The cam locks I sent you are set up with street nineties. Use those in place of a hose barb. 1/2" silicone tubing will stretch over the male end of the 90.

image-3387943905.jpg

Ah ok, yea that would work perfectly. Ill probably throw a hose clamp on top of it just to be safe. What is everybodies views on vinyl tubing? Ive heard it can leave a "taste" in the water

Definitely silicon. It doesn't make sense to spend a bunch on camlocks and stainless connections and then go cheap on the tubing in heat sensitive areas. They do make reinforced silicon tubing (think reinforced vinyl but food safe) if you want something more durable. However, your pump pressure needs to be rediculously high to warrant the $10/ft cost.

I use the 1/2" silicon with type C camlocks on both ends, an I use type E to screw into all of my valves and inlets. Everything works great. It was a little expensive, but not having to mess with hose clamps is AWESOME! I have a spare hose with an F and a C in case I need to extend.

Back