Bugs in grain from Austin Homebrew. Will they effect the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to make a batch of beer this past weekend with ingredients from AHB. When I opened the sealed plastic bags of rice, maris, and vienna malts, and dumped them on my cheese cloth to tie up and steep, I spotted a bunch of these crawling on the counter.

This was a clean counter, and the bags of malt were sealed. I cut them open, dumped on an open cheesecloth and about 15 of these were running around. I killed the ones I saw, and just steeped the rest with the grains.

what kind of critters are they? Anyone else have problems with bugs from AHB? In the pic it looks big, but in reality it was about the size of a grain, maybe the size of a large ant (not a sugar ant).

How long did you have the kit at home before you opened it? I would assume there were no visible bugs when they shipped it, unless they pre-pack their kits and it was on their shelf for a while. I would call them and see what they say. I never had any issues with AIH.

well now you have me freaked out a bit, not so much from the possibility of bugs in the brew, but I have a couple of loaves of bread made from the spent grain from the last batch. Finding bugs in baked bread is not something to look forward to!
Tell everyone they are poppey seeds 😉

Back