Maris Otter VS. UK Pale Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegrassbrewer

Reaction score
I am a fairly new home brewer and I am wondering what effect substituting Maris Otter will have on a recipe that calls for British pale ale malt? What will be different about the resulting beer?

If you want to brew the same beer in the future, then it would be best to stay with a single cultivar such as MO. It is a partular strain, so you know what you will be getting. British Pale Ale malt is a generic term and could vary more from one purchase to the next.

Also, MO is referenced much more in this forum, so it would be easier for you to duplicate more recipes.

OK, I admit it, I just LOVE Maris Otter! :D

If you want to brew the same beer in the future, then it would be best to stay with a single cultivar such as MO. It is a partular strain, so you know what you will be getting. British Pale Ale malt is a generic term and could vary more from one purchase to the next.

Also, MO is referenced much more in this forum, so it would be easier for you to duplicate more recipes.

OK, I admit it, I just LOVE Maris Otter! :D

Thanks for your response. I have been using MO because my LBHS had it in bulk. I have been using it in all the recipes I have brewed in place of 2 row malt or British pale ale malt. I LOVE the way my beers have been tasting. I was just curious on how much differently they might taste if I had actually followed the original. I think I will keep on using MO as my main base malt.

Yep, MO is a British Pale Ale malt (like Golden Promise & Halcyon) -- just a particular strain of pale ale malt. It's also a 2 row malt, although almost always when folks refer to 2 row malt they are not referring to pale ale malt. Mostly when people refer to 2 row they mean American 2 row, and MO isn't really a substitute for this. They are fairly different.

Back