Double Batch Single Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YunkMunk

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need a little help figuring this out. I want to brew 10 gallons of an IPA and then ferment each of the 5 gallons with different hops, there by having two single hop IPA's.

I've read how the Madfermentationist did it, but was wondering if it could be done with smaller volumes.

After the lauter, can I put a gallon of wort into 2 different pots and do my hopping in those pots, leaving the other 8 gallons to boil in the main brew pot, unhopped. Then I would add the bittered wort into the fermenter? Or would I lose significant hop character by only boiling the hops in such a small amount of wort?

Thoughts?

Thanks and happy brewing!

I know it would take longer but you could just collect your preboil volume for the entire batch then clean your mash tun and drain half your wort into that to hold while you boil one half then just repeat the second half with your other hops.

Latest posts

Back