I need an answer to this question quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
It is important to know the answers to this stuff, it could save your life!

A Velociraptor spots you 40 meters away and attacks, accelerating at 4 m/s^2 up to its top speed of 24 m/s. When it spots you, you begin to flee, instantaneously reaching your top speed of 6 m/s. How far can you get before you’re caught and devoured?

it's a trick question.

the initial Raptor is just to gain your attention so that you do not realize the ambush that is about to take place... as you go to run, they have already surrounded you and therefore you are as good as dead.

You can get 24m from where you started. He will be eating your head in 4 seconds.

I think that's right. It's been a long time.

That sounds about right. I got 22.62m at 3.77 seconds, but Physics 1 was so long ago and I've tried to forget as much as possible, so don't take my word for it.

Pffffffffft... that's easy. Raptors are extinct so I just keep running forever! Now go get me a beer!

Why are you doing this to me? I just had to open this thread, didn't I? After much calculation and recollection of physics 101 and high-school algebra, the answer is.............

37 1/3 meters (6 2/9 seconds 'til death)

Ok, let dd be the distance the Raptor travels, and dy be the distance you travel.

To simplify lets split this into two time sections 0-6 sec(Raptor accelerating) and 6sec +

dd=(at^2)/2=0+(4*6^2)/2=72 m
dy=40+vt=40+6*6=76 m

At this point things are not looking good, since both of you are at a constant speed now and there is a seperation of 4 m we have the 2 following equations:

dd=24t
dy=6t + 4

setting dd=dy we have: 24t=6t+4

solving for t we have 18t=4 --->t=.2222222222

So youre dead in 6.222222222 seconds. Have fun.

..EDIT..

Damn it, I just realized you wanted to know how far you could get not how long you could live.

So 76 m in the first 6 sec + another .222222 seconds at 6 m/s = 76 + 1.333333 = 77.33333333 m

..EDIT 2..

Damn it again, you had a 40 metre head start so you only managed to run another 37 1/3 m as adrock said.

Dude, that velociraptor ate you the minute you picked up the calculator. :D

Well I guess Donasay won't be posting anymore since he's been eaten by a velociraptor. Time to close his account and for us to split up his remaining beer cache between us.

Back