Cylinder expiration date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
My friend gave me a 5 lb CO2 cylinder. It now needs a refill. How do I determine what the expiration date of the cylinder is?

Thanks,
Eric

There should be a month/year stamped into the metal at the top near the neck. If there is no stamp, it probably needs hydro. Some gas places will just exchange it for you unless your area is a fill while you wait. If so, try a fire safety place that supplies and maintains extinguishers.

The place I took it just exchanged it for $10.
For future reference, what exactly does the date mean? Expiration, last test date?

Thanks,
Eric

My local gas shop charged me an extra $15 to hydrotest the one that I traded in so that is awesome for $10. Just look for the stamp next time if you pick up another CO2 cylinder

yes, out of date cylinders have to be re-tested. But this is often much cheaper than a new cylinder! If you don't know the date of your cylinder, just take it to the refill place & they can tell you. Also, they are supposed to check before they refill, so if it's out of date, they won't refill. But you can leave it, they will test it, remark it, and refill it for you.

Back