Washing yeast for next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
I'm planning on washing yeast for the first time this weekend when I transfer to my keg. My question is right now I am brewing an Amber Ale with English Ale yeast WLP002. Is there any problem washing this yeast to brew an IPA next? It seems like it's generally best to go from a lighter brew to darker.

I've heard that too, but I think it applies more to racking onto a cake then washing yeast. Once you wash the yeast I don't think it matters what you use it for, but I might be wrong.

It's not necessarily "darker" you want to worry about, but the strength of the beer. I've also only heard that about pitching onto cakes, though, so not sure about washed yeast.

It doesn't matter with washed yeast since you are " washing" it. You will leave most all of the stuff from the previous beer behind, PLUS you will be making a starter and probably decanting that. As for higher ABV.. I am not sure on that one.

I treat washed yeast more or less like a smack pack--for lagers I will make a big starter, decant and pitch and for ales a smaller starter (or if I am using enough washed yeast, maybe even none at all), then just pitch.

Don't think you need to worry about light vs. dark with washed yeast.

Thank for your input guys! The Amber was about 5.5% and the IPA will be about 6.8%, so looks like it will be fine. I'll give it a go. Thanks again to all!

Latest posts

Back