Frig or Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntobrew

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why some prefer a freezer over a frig? Especially since you never freeze a beer. I was thinking about a frig/freezer combo type since I can probably talk my SWMBO into it because she needs more freezer space. I want to lager and keg. Can a frig do that? Does it really need an external controller? I'm kinda new so any advice would be appreciated.

You can't set a fridge's temp to the levels that lager yeasts need (50°-55°), so if you want to use the fridge to brew lagers, you'll need an external controller. You'll be too cold to ferment. But, the "regular" fridge temps should be fine for actually lagering (long-term aging, which is usually done closer to 40°).

Remember, too, that using an external control means that the freezer unit will be out of whack, you won't be able to use it as a freezer.

I have a small fridge that will ultimately get a temperature controller for lagering, but I'm getting a regular fridge that will be unmodified for kegging, for lagering (but not fermenting lagers) and cold-crashing my ales (and the freezer will be loaded to the gills with hops).

As to why the freezer over the fridge; chest freezers can be had for a bit cheaper than fridges, and people seem to prefer the setup. The chest freezer, of course, will absolutely need an external controller.

EDIT: To clarify, your primary fermentation for lagers will be around 50°, but you'll leave the beer in secondary (lager it) at the colder temps. A fridge is fine for the latter, but for the former, it's going to be too cold.

If you are going to lager you might need to get to the 30s, a freezer can do this better.

Freezers are better insulated.

Freezer (chest freezers) are built for storage of large things. So fitting a carboy in is easier.

You can very easily keep a keg cold with a fridge without external control.

To get to lagering temps in a fridge, the coldest setting might not be cold enough so external control would be required.

the_bird said:
...I'm getting a regular fridge that will be unmodified for kegging, for lagering (but not fermenting lagers) and cold-crashing my ales (and the freezer will be loaded to the gills with hops).
Birdman, I've seen your freezer. It don't have no gills. :D

And if that thing is filled up with hops???

Whoa...It's gonna be some hopped up brew fests at your place.....

Wow, you guys are great. It seems I may need 2 things. The frig/freezer combo would be good for SWMBO's freezer and for brew temps <40-50 degrees, (maybe with outside taps!!!) That would go in the garage. That would work, right?

Then I would need a small freezer or frig with an external controller for lager fermenting and/or cold-conditioning over 50 degrees. This would have to go in the pump house where I have little room. I understand this will need a external temp controller but does it matter if it is a freezer or would a small frig work??

You can combine EITHER a freezer or fridge of any configuration with an appropriate controller and make it do anything you want for brewing. You can even use a two stage controller with a heat source to ferment ales in a garge during winter.

Most of us choose one or the other based on size needed or what's availabe (free). I have a garbage picked fridge I use for lager ferments and lagering while I use a chest freezer for a kegerator.

My kegger has a top freezer and I store hops & grains in it. MOST of the time it is frozen, but I wouldn't risk food in it.

Just an update . . . Drove home Sat night to see a "Free Frig" sign 2 blocks from my house. Pushed it down the street with a furniture mover, plugged it in and it seems good as new. :rockin:

Back