First time kegging, I have some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bigins

Reaction score
I'm using 5 gallon Pepsi kegs where on/in the keg do I want to sanatize, the top in/out connectors and the inside? Anything else, airlock?

After I connect the CO2 tank to the 2 kegs, what PSI do I want the main gage to be? What PSI do I want the 2 PCI gauges attached to the kegs to be? I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but when one is poured from the tap, that's how I like my carbination.

After kegging and attaching the CO2 tank and open up the CO2 into the kegs, do I want to pull up on the airlock on the keg to get the dead air out? About 4.5 gallons in each keg, so if I do need to pull up on the airlock, how much?

When I go to attach the the kegs to the taps, do I want to sanatize those tubes? Same with the CO2 hoses, do I want to sanatize those?

Mr Bigins said:
I'm using 5 gallon Pepsi kegs where on/in the keg do I want to sanatize, the top in/out connectors and the inside? Anything else, airlock?

After I connect the CO2 tank to the 2 kegs, what PSI do I want the main gage to be? What PSI do I want the 2 PCI gauges attached to the kegs to be? I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but when one is poured from the tap, that's how I like my carbination.

After kegging and attaching the CO2 tank and open up the CO2 into the kegs, do I want to pull up on the airlock on the keg to get the dead air out? About 4.5 gallons in each keg, so if I do need to pull up on the airlock, how much?

When I go to attach the the kegs to the taps, do I want to sanatize those tubes? Same with the CO2 hoses, do I want to sanatize those?
Google is your friend - do a quick google search on kegging beer and all your questions will be answered.

As for what to sanitize, I can only give you my routine. I fill my keg with five gallons of iodophor, then hook it up to CO2 and blow about a gallon out through the serving hose to sanitize the hose and tap. Then I disconnect the CO2, releive the pressure, take off the lid, put my empty fermenting bucket over it, then flip the whole thing over. This lets some sanitizer out, which sanitize the outside of the valves and top of the cornie.

I do a similiar routing for cleaning, but use PBW before repeating the process with iodophor.

Back