oxyclean on stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
i read the back of the can of oxyclean, and it doesnt say not to use it on stainless, but does anyone know for sure if its ok?

I've used it in my cornies and my kettle, and I've never seen any ill effects. I've never let it soak for more than a few minutes, either.

The main thing I've read that can harm stainless is bleach. They say it will cause pitting on SS if it is soaked in bleach for too long.

PBW works really well, too. It's what I use now for the crud in my kettle. AFAIK, you can use it on anything.

david_42 said:
OXYCLEAN. Alkaline Chlorinated Liquid. DESCRIPTION:. Oxyclean is a highly alkaline, phosphated, chlorine containing liquid ...
www.melrosechem.com/english/data_eng/hs0853.pdf

Clean & rinse & rinse & rinse, don't soak.

Yunno, I was wondering what was different between Oxyclean and bleach. I know that sodium hypochlorite acts as an oxidizer, so must oxyclean....

I use a perforated stainless false bottom. Usually I leave it in the chlorine bleach sanitizing solution for days/weeks. It has a white oxidation on it, but I'm not concerned about pitting, what's it gonna do, get holes in it?

Maybe I'll try a phosphoric acid bath to remove the white oxidation? Someday...

Back