Hit & Run... Why Damn it, why!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klainmeister

Reaction score
So i parked my car last night at about 11:00 PM on the street, about 2 from them exit of the alley that runs behind my house. I wake up this morning to my cars rear quarter having a big ol' dent and a broken tail-light without a note. This will probably cost me 500-750$ since i don't have full coverage as i am a poor college student.

So just asking WTF? Have any of you had this happen before? Why are people such **** heads?

/end of rant

Sorry, this has been a really bad week and i was so happy to have the weeknd right around the corner... great.

I had someone cave my wifes entrie side of her Ford Explorer in. There was 5 witnesses and accurate description of the driver and license plate. Cops were called and they said they cant do anyhting about it.

WTF DO COPS ****ING DO??

If it makes you feel any better, he probably didn't have insurance anyway. ;)

Complete pisser, dude. People suck. Well, not all of them, but enough to f*ck things up more often that they should.

Yeah, i filed a report but i know that's about as worthless and me hoping i can find the person who did it. There's no doubt in my mind they were drinking as they had to drive completely off the road to do it. Man, i just don't understand why people don't respect each other and each other's property.

It really puts a cramp on my travels over winter break. I was supposed to summit Lassen and go to the Tetons and Glacier doing photography work, but with this i might have to figure out some way of paying for it.

Klainmeister said:
So just asking WTF? Have any of you had this happen before? Why are people such **** heads?

My guess is that the ********* was probably loaded and afraid of getting a DUI. Certainly not making excuses for the *********, just making an assumption about the *********.

I had a guy intentionally hit my parked car once, because I didn't leave enough room for him to park in front of his house.... seriously, he even told me he did it on purpose. It took FIVE HOURS and five 911 calls to get a cop there. She wrote him a ticket, and I thought I might actually get my car fixed for a change. I got called to court as a witness. Sat there for two hours waiting for the case to be called only to find out that the prosecutor dropped the case because the cop didn't show. He didn't even bother to apologize. I never fixed the car (it would have cost about $2500 and this was eleven years ago.

Sorry to hear about it, dude. Keep studying hard and soon you'll be able to afford a place with a garage or at least a driveway.

I had an illegal immigrant hit my wife's car once. I forgot how much LEO can suck. I did all the Detective work to find the guy but found out Police could care less about hit and runs and could care less about illegal immigrants commiting crime. Also found out how long it takes for Police to show up to a non-drug related crime and how apathetic they can be towards the people they work for.

It was bad. I found the truck that hit her car complete with correct damage and her paint on his car and visa verse. I then tracked down where the illegal was staying but the police didn't care. Took the report, wouldn't even question the illegal. Seemed really pissy about having to even take the report.

I hate to hear that this is common practice. SWMBO and I were sitting at a red light, in the turn lane, when another driver lost control rounding the corner and spun out into us. I jumped out and began to yell at the guy and motioned him over to an adjacent parking lot to exchange info. The guy(who apparently was uninsured and spoke little english) took off from the scene of the accident. I followed him until it became unsafe to do so( run a red light with the family in the car) and called the cops. Plates came back to a vehicle matching my description, and the plate and description of all 5 witnesses. LE said that because there was no serious injury or fatality, that they would not attempt contact with the RO. My insurance company (think lizard) has tried to contact the RO by phone and mail, but he has not responded. We were left to pay the deductible out of our pocket and the vehicle was totaled. My insurance rates go up and the other driver gets away free and clear. :mad:

One Post-New Year's morning, I saw a guy get into his Toyota and pull a U-turn. Hit the curb, bounced, then hit a Mustang hard enough to force it up on the sidewalk. Drove off. I wrote down the license plate number and left it on the car.

Unfortunately, if no one gets hurt, it's just an insurance matter.

I had the same thing happen to me. Some kid on my street drove home drunk and hit my car as he turned the corner onto the street, bounced off and hit another car. It was like a demolition derby on the street (small dead end kind of street). I came down to find my whole driver side wiped out.

When I was parking on the street & in muni lots in my town over several years I had:

the tailgate stolen off my truck,
the rear bumper crushed in,
the driver side of the cab dented,
my antenna ripped off
numerous door strikes and
my GF's car got rubbed down the drivers side

Why? cause people do this crap when they are drunk/not paying attention/talking on the cell/ect and don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

Yeah, it does suck and I feel your pain:tank: .

have lost three autos over the years the uninsured drivers. cops don't give a damn. since i have a house, a job and a family i would bet serious money that if I had hit another car when uninsured they would be on my doorstep with the cuffs in a NY minute. pure BS. another car was stolen(OK it was sort of 'petty theft auto', was my street legal off road vehicle) . my sister-in-law saw the vehicle in some dudes front lawn(chained up, it was sort of easy to steal as they had already proved), called the cops and they needed alot of prodding to help me recover the car. when i arrived at the miscreants house to hot wire my own car to take possesion(there was about 75 cars in the guys field out back)the cop was negotiating to purchase another vehicle from the crooks in the house. hmmmm... title? ah.... sure i got one of those around here somewheres..... i ended up feeling like I was doing something wrong. it is a silly damn world

While this doesn't apply directly to people that do hit and runs, I thought I'd tell you what I like doing to people that park very poorly in crowded parking lots. I'm talkin 'I-parked-over-the-line-in-my-SUV-and-too-lazy-to-adjust' type of poor parking. I write a postit that says this and I stick it in their windshield wiper: "Sorry I hit your car, but you parked like an idiot. People think I'm writing down my insurance info, but I'm not."

I say it's not immoral if you don't actually touch their car.

When I was in Oregon, I was riding my bike when a guy ran a stop sign and plowed into me. Destroyed my bike (my only mode of transportation at the time), broke my collar bone, and knocked my contact lenses out.

One minute I'm cruising down the road, and the next, I'm eating the passenger side of a Jeep Cherokee. I was laying in the street thinking, "I can't believe it, I was just run over". I lifted my head to see the guy pull over to the side of the road, I thought " he's going to help". I lowered my head again and hear spinning tires. I looked back up and he was tearing off down the street. I couldn't even get the plate number because my contacts were laying in the road somewhere. I started looking for my contacts and picking up the pieces of my bike when I hear a voice from across the street say "Hey buddy". "Great" I think, "this guys got the plate number". Instead, much to my growing anger, the SOB asks me if I have any spare change.

At the time I was really struggling to find work and hardly had two pennies to rub together. I called my eye doctor (three thousand miles away on the East Coast)to see If he would fax my prescription to the local optometrist so that I would not have to pay for the fitting of a new pair of contacts and he refused to do it. Went to the cops and their first reaction was to laugh and then tell me that there was nothing they could do without a plate number. I told them that the guy was pulling out of an apartment complex and maybe they could go look for a green Jeep with a large dent in the passenger door. They refused saying that lots of Jeeps have dents.

I went to the apartments myself and looked for the Jeep but did not see it. I went to the superintendent and explained what happened and asked if he knew the car and could he please tell me how to get in touch with the owner. Get this, the guy had moved out the day before and left no forwarding address (the super also refused to give me the guys name).

It really sucked to say the least.

So the general consensus i am hearing is A) people can be *****ebags, B) Illegal immigrants don't want to be caught and are usually uninsured, C) Drunk driving is stupid, and most of all D) **** Happens

TxBrew said:
I had an illegal immigrant hit my wife's car once. I forgot how much LEO can suck. I did all the Detective work to find the guy but found out Police could care less about hit and runs and could care less about illegal immigrants commiting crime. Also found out how long it takes for Police to show up to a non-drug related crime and how apathetic they can be towards the people they work for.

It was bad. I found the truck that hit her car complete with correct damage and her paint on his car and visa verse. I then tracked down where the illegal was staying but the police didn't care. Took the report, wouldn't even question the illegal. Seemed really pissy about having to even take the report.

That's when TxBrew joined the Minute Men. :p

david_42 said:
One Post-New Year's morning, I saw a guy get into his Toyota and pull a U-turn. Hit the curb, bounced, then hit a Mustang hard enough to force it up on the sidewalk. Drove off. I wrote down the license plate number and left it on the car.

Unfortunately, if no one gets hurt, it's just an insurance matter.

Unless you call the police yourself.

Buddy of mine was driving home one day from out in the boondocks. A deer jumped out in the road and, being a city boy, he swerved to avoid it. He's not sure if he missed the deer or not but he ended up losing control of the vehicle and going off the road. Another firend was about a half mile bakc and stopped to render aid.

Sicne he wasn't hurt, his car was now safely interrred in a ditch and there was no property damage outside his car, he just let his buddy take him home. 11pm on Sunday he wasn't gonna reach his insurance agent anyway.

The next day his insurance company says they need a police report as part of the claims process. So Chris calls the cops who go out to inspect the car/scene. They then give him a ticket for $900 for 'failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle' and tell him he's lucky they don't take him for DUI as well.

The accident occurred when he was stone cold sober.

(car totaled-- frame bent on a 2000 Saturn)

kornkob said:
'failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle' and tell him he's lucky they don't take him for DUI as well.

(car totaled-- frame bent on a 2000 Saturn)

Wow, that's a pretty lame name and REASON for a ticket.

They must love it when there's unforeseen snowstorms. I can hear the headlines nows: "Wisconsin police rake in $$$ because of unexcepted snowstorm"

Here in Ga we have that and also "leaving the roadway". My sister swerved to avoid rear ending a stopped car and ran off the road. No damage other than some tire tracks in the grass on the shoulder. Anyway, a cop arrived on scene and after making sure everyone was ok, he ticketed her for "leaving the roadway"

kornkob said:
The next day his insurance company says they need a police report as part of the claims process. So Chris calls the cops who go out to inspect the car/scene. They then give him a ticket for $900 for 'failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle' and tell him he's lucky they don't take him for DUI as well.

If someone gives you the DUI crap, tell them to pound sand. It's just intimidation. You could have been 0.30 the night before, but you cannot be busted for DUI the next day. No way to prove you were intoxicated (or driving) at the time. Note: I do NOT condone drunk driving, but I do condemn getting the shaft from some jacka**.

On the other ticket, fight fire with fire. Go to court and deny you were the one driving, When asked who was driving or where you were, plea the 5th. If you previously stated you were driving, state that you were mispoke. Argue for dismissal on the grounds that they cannot prove you were operating the vehicle.

I know 2 people in Anchorage who have been arrested and taken to jail to only blow a 0.0 as they were stone sober after passing a field sobriety test. Only to have to pay 268$ to have thier car released from the impound lot.

Id be suing the **** out of the state for that gestapo ****.

I hate Drunk Drivers but I hate the revenue stream MADD had created with it. MADDs founders have all quit as they "have lost their way". MADD wants anyhting above 0.0 to be a DUI.

Its a fact that when they lowered the DUI limit .12 to .08 they did not decrease accidents or fatalities 1%. They did increas revenue and arrest. So it goes to show that .08 may not impair driving like thought. Most DUI accident occur when the person is .12 or higher.

But lets not let facts get in the way of the police revenue stream.

Back