Pa ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
PA IPA

3 Gallon Batch

3lbs Briess White Sorghum Syrup
1lb 6oz Brown Rice Syrup
8oz Belgian Candi Syrup--Dark
8oz Belgian candi Syrup--clear
8oz maltodextrine

The above were all added at start of 60 minute boil

hops

boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet
boil 5 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet
boil 1 min 1.0 Cascade pellet

1 whirlfloc tablet

Safale 04

How'd this turn out (unless you just put it together)? I was thinking of doing a similar recipe.

Also, what's the point of adding all the extracts for the full boil? Typically, I add them at the end to get more hops utilization.

This turned out great. I'm only posting recipes in this recipe section that were actually a success (by consensus too).

You can pour in the extracts later and even at flame-out. Definitely recommended to do that with honey and or candi syrup. Some people recommend dividing the sorghum between the start and end to minimize the "twang" of sorghum. But for a recipe like this the sorghum and the hops go together well. If you are aesthetically inclined, from what I have read, if you add the extracts at the start it helps for clarity in your beer's appearance. But really, add them whenever.

That is the theory. I'm not the right one to ask. I really haven't found any issues with sorghum.

When I use sorghum it is either an IPA or Belgian style (spicy) beer and that seems to hide the sorghum just fine. When I want to make a dark "malty" beer I use tapioca and brown rice syrup with candi syrup as my base and no sorghum. So I don't really bother with when to add sorghum, I just do it at the start.

Latest posts

Back