carmel malt and decoction mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
Do these two go well together... carmel malts are used in "typically decocted" beers as a "replacement" for decoction because the malts don't need boiled and such because the malts now a days are highly modified. But I'm wanting to brew a delicious bock and plan on doing a double or triple decoction, I've done a decoction before with no carmel malt and I think it was good (can't remember too well as it was a while ago)

Is Carmel malt needed if I'm decocting 2-3 times? I realize this is asking an opinion so don't prove each other wrong, I just wanna hear how decocting with carmel malts ends up as I've done without before

Caramel malt would be a non-traditional bock ingredient. You can no doubt use them in small amounts, especially when paired with decoction mashing, to create an exemplary bock beer.

Basically a full weyerman munich I brewed with plenty of noble hops to give a decent bitterness and medium amount of hop flavor/aroma probably tettnager or hallertau hops and double decoctions boiled 30 minutes each one thick & one medium, I like the thick decoctions better so instead of a thin decoction I make it a medium. Not going to use protein rest as it is totally unneccessary when using irish moss, IMHO irish moss leaves enough protein for a clearer beer while still allowing for a good head. I did a protein rest on my dopple bock and had a terrible head and retention, won't do it again, probably turn my fridge to 45 and ferment so fermentation is near 50-55 and lager for 2 months, bottle 3 weeks and drink, long grain to glass so I may do a larger batch. Ill probably shoot for 6.5-7 abv

Back