Oh no tooooooo much Fermcap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I just did a bad thing. The Fermcap bottle was clogged and I pushed too hard. The liquid came out like an explosion and into my wort. I wanted 3 drops and now I have added 1/4 oz.

Please someone tell me that this will not have an impact on my beer nor kill me when drinking. :(

I've read that it may aid head retention ?
Yeast book by Chris White & Jamil

...But in its recommended dosage.

It will be interesting to see if 1/4 oz. of Fermcap will have any adverse effect on head retention. I have read that it is broken down during fermentation in normal dosages, but I wonder if a large amount may leave some residue.

OP: Keep us posted on how your beer turns out. It might end up being a cool experiment, albeit unintentional.

I suspect you'll have a head retention issues in that quantity, but it should be safe to consume. It's a similar substance as to what goes in many anti-gas medications. It's also fairly inert.

After tasting, I can say that I did not see any effect that the Fermcap overdose had on the beer/head.

Back