Can I use this cocoa powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
A friend just shipped me a huge 2# package of this cocoa powder with zero explanation of why:

http://www.cacao-barry.com/usen/136

I'm a baker so maybe she intends for me to bake something, but of course the first thing I thought of was using some in a beer, especially since I've never made a chocolate beer.

I'm a little concerned about the fat content, however. The package doesn't have any nutritional info, but it does say:

22/24%
M.G./Fat

Any input?

With cocoa powder, lower fat levels are definitely better. I like to use powders that are 11-14%.

Personally, I would just sub it into a chocolate stout recipe that you make/can find. Seems like it's pretty high quality so it might make an awesome beer.

Slightly off topic: kanzimonson I thought that your name sounded a little familiar, so does your wife have a food blog? If so then you should totally start your brewing/baking blog back up, because that's what inspired me to get into home brewing initially.

That's me!

I stopped writing it after I felt like I wasn't contributing to the brewing and baking world... HBT is a better site for knowledge, Beeradvocate is a better site for beer reviews, and there were a lot more bread baking sites out there. I don't know, maybe I gave up too easily but now that we're opening our own bakery we're much busier than before!

This is what I use in mine

de3115630002.gif

It is fat free

Back