Scheduling/Time Issue - Can I Pull This Beer Off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
I think I’ve put myself in a bit of a situation. I decided to take Thursday off to brew two batches. I brew at our part time home, so brewing tasks require some scheduling, and I’ve messed this one up a bit.

The batch in question is a 5 gallon porter with a 1.069 OG. It is using Wyeast 1318 (London Ale III), but I only bought one package. Next time I’ll just buy two, but for now I have one to work with.

I see three options, but maybe there are others? I’m hopeful I can get a few different suggestions as to my best option.

Option #1: Get a yeast starter of approximately 1.25 liters on the stir plate at about 10:00 pm Wednesday. Adjust the brew schedule and pitch the entire starter at about 6:00 pm Thursday. What I don’t like about this is that I’d prefer to decant the starter.

Option #2: Get a 2 liter yeast starter on the stir plate at about 10:00 pm Wednesday. Let that starter go until about 6:00 pm Thursday, and cold crash until about 2:00 am Friday. Decant it off, and let it warm up for an hour or so, and then pitch it into the wort. (I have to leave by 4:00 am to head back into work) I see the negatives as possibly not enough time for the starter to finish, not enough time to cold crash, and wort sitting without yeast for 10 hours or so. My sanitation is good, and the wort would be sitting in a glass carboy at 63 degrees waiting for the yeast. I would cover the wort with a blanket of CO2 after it is in the carboy, and oxygenate with pure O2 in the morning before pitching the decanted slurry. Perhaps 18 hours on the stir plate and 8 hours of cold crashing is adequate?

Option #3: Get a 2 liter yeast starter on the stir plate at about 10:00 pm Wednesday. Let that starter go for 24-30 hours, which would put it in the fridge Late Thursday night or early Friday morning. Cold crash the starter until about 8:00 pm Friday night at which time I’d decant it off, and let it warm up for an hour or so, and then pitch it into the wort. It seems to me that this gives the starter the time it needs to finish, and also adequate time to cold crash. The concern would be the wort sitting without yeast for 24-30 hours. My sanitation is good, and the wort would be sitting in a glass carboy at 63 degrees waiting for the yeast. I would cover the wort with a blanket of CO2 after it is in the carboy, and oxygenate with pure O2 the following day before pitching the decanted slurry.

Which of these options is the best, or are they all bad? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Since it's a porter I'd go with option #1. If it were a lighter beer I would go with option #2. Of course you could always adjust the recipe to bring the og down and just pitch without a starter.

Latest posts

Back