Will brett eat flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.

I mean, technically there is a tiny tiny bit of sugar in flour, but why would you think "flour" for Brett?

What is the purpose? One thing I've read time and time and time and time and time and time again is that Brett doesn't need anything to eat. Theoretically, even if you added Brett to something of 1.000 gravity, it would still add Brett character over time. But, put simply, "flour" is NOT a good food source for Brett,

Actually I was listening to a podcast about turbid mashing. They said they used large amounts of raw unmalted wheat, and that this provides lots of starches and long chain sugars for the brett and bugs to eat. I was wondering if flour would work the same way. Maybe for a small batch experiment or something.

I've heard of breweries or homebrewers (slips my mind atm) adding flour to mimic the turbid mashes... For the reason the OP posted

I have heard this advocated by Jamil Zainacheff on one of his podcasts. I am pretty sure it was the Straight Lambic episode of Brewing With Style. Similar to using unmalted flaked wheat. I can't remember if the flour was supposed to be added before or after the mash. No idea if it really works or not but probably can't hurt.

the idea that you need extra sugars for brett/bacteria to "chew on" in largely debunked. I wouldnt worry about it

I have used a bit of flour in the mash and boil for extra haze and body though. I figure its not much different than the finely milled flour/dust at the bottom of your milled grain container

Do you have a link for some of the debunking info. I'm kinda to new to sours and brett brewing, so I'd like to check that out.

Here's a really useful presentation (YouTube videos) Chad Yakobson made entirely about Brett:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVOzBtE27Y[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swv294Xkbq8[/ame]

He does mention in here several times that Brett doesn't really need any fermentables to impart its unique character. Obviously it needs fermentables to produce alcohol, but it doesn't need them to produce Brett flavors.

Check out the rest of the milk the funk wiki, the are a great group on Fb you'll learn a lot... Also the American sour beer book. Moops is right, it's not necessary, but not harmful either...

I have the American Sour Beer book. I haven't read all of it, but it is a fun book. I'll check out those links too. Thanks for info. I've done a couple sours, but I'm getting more curious about brett beers. I had Avery brewing 23, which is 100% brett, and its fantastic, but it is a lot fruitier than other nonsour beers I've had that are just part brett. I thought maybe more "brett food" would intensify some of these flavors, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to do some more reading I guess.

The videos that worlddivides posted are a load of great info about using brett. Definitely worth watching if you want to use brett.

Back