Kegerator for $200, good deal or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think for $200, it comes with a co2 tank too.

3k53ma3p2ZZZZZZZZZ92ia2cba93ce93c1795.jpg

He says it is a beer meister, but can't find any on their side that have a wood front. Only a single tap but that can be changed and I was also thinking of using it for a fermenting chamber.

What do you think for $200, it comes with a co2 tank too.He says it is a beer meister, but can't find any on their side that have a wood front. Only a single tap but that can be changed and I was also thinking of using it for a fermenting chamber.

If your only going to use it for fermenting, a used chest freezer is way cheaper.

Looks like it might fit 3 cornies...if that is the case i would say that is worth it...

Well I went for it! The tower is a piece of crap, plastic and the faucet is pretty crappy too. I may just upgrade the tower to a 2 or 3 tap setup anyways.

The 5lb co2 tank is nice and feels full too

It looks great and the wood look will fit well in my pool room where the pool table is a dark wood color as well as the flooring.

Best thing is I got it for $160

Check out the pics

P1040782-800.jpg

P1040783-800.jpg

P1040784-800.jpg

P1040786-800.jpg

I'd not feel bad at all. Not sure what the other posts are looking at but for $200 bucks (and as long at the fridge works), the tank, regulator, tap, and fittings (even with a PVC tower) are well worth the $. Sanyo's (to convert) are close to $200 by them selves. Are you happy? 'course you are! :rockin:

I'd not feel bad at all. Not sure what the other posts are looking at but for $200 bucks (and as long at the fridge works), the tank, regulator, tap, and fittings (even with a PVC tower) are well worth the $. Sanyo's (to convert) are close to $200 by them selves. Are you happy? 'course you are! :rockin:

Sure am, and I got it for $160 too, I will probably put the extra toward fixing/adding too it. The temp difference is 10 degrees from when it comes on to when it turns off. That kind of messes up any thoughts of fermenting with it, unless I get a ranco or johnson controller, which I am looking at right now.

I was excited when I set it to the lowest temp setting and it was like 55, I can do lagers in this thing, but then the 10 degree thing came up :(

Anyone have a temperature controller for sale???

Sure am, and I got it for $160 too, I will probably put the extra toward fixing/adding too it. The temp difference is 10 degrees from when it comes on to when it turns off. That kind of messes up any thoughts of fermenting with it, unless I get a ranco or johnson controller, which I am looking at right now.

I was excited when I set it to the lowest temp setting and it was like 55, I can do lagers in this thing, but then the 10 degree thing came up :(

Anyone have a temperature controller for sale???

The temperature difference of 10 degrees is the air temp correct. The temperature difference of a keg or fermenter will be much much less due to the thermal mass. Even with a temperature controller, you would need to set a variance to keep the compressor from kicking on and off frequently.

Monitor the temp of a keg and I think it will be steady.

The temperature difference of 10 degrees is the air temp correct. The temperature difference of a keg or fermenter will be much much less due to the thermal mass. Even with a temperature controller, you would need to set a variance to keep the compressor from kicking on and off frequently.

Monitor the temp of a keg and I think it will be steady.

Yeah, this was just with a meat thermometer probe dangling inside and I didn't have much time to test, but it did kick on at 53 and went down to 43 when it turned off.

You are correct, the temp of the fermentor will be more stabilized because of the liquid volume. I figure I take the middle number as the average and say 48 degrees is a good temp to ferment a lager. I may still just turn the back room into a cold on for a few weeks but we'll see.

Either way, I can fit 3 cornies in this. Anyone know where I could get a nice tower with 3 perlick faucets?

+1 on the small fan. I was frustrated when I first bought my rig 'cause I could only get it down to 48 degrees at wide open throttle. I bought a small desktop fan from Walmart for $4 and instantly the temp fell to 30 degrees at WOT, so I throttled back the thermostat to mid-level, and the fridge keeps a constant 37 to 40 degrees.
Beers,
Ken

+1 on the small fan. I was frustrated when I first bought my rig 'cause I could only get it down to 48 degrees at wide open throttle. I bought a small desktop fan from Walmart for $4 and instantly the temp fell to 30 degrees at WOT, so I throttled back the thermostat to mid-level, and the fridge keeps a constant 37 to 40 degrees.
Beers,
Ken

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have a problem with the temp number, but just keeping them stable.

I think I will test out filling a better bottle and putting the temp probe inside and see how much the temp fluctuates.

I use my fan for stable temps. Still air stratifies with temp. If the probe is at the top then the bottom will get much colder before the probe registers a temp change. The opposite is true if the probe is at the bottom. By circulating the air stratification doesn't occur allowing more stable temps.

Back