My latest brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I posted a recipe a couple of weeks ago, thanks for the help Pseudochef. It was suppose to be a Orval clone, but quickly went away from that. So heres what I got.....

8.5lbs Belgian 2 row
0.5lbs Crystal 20
6oz Cara vienne
1lb Light Belgian Candi Sugar
1oz Sazz 5.8AAU 60mins
1oz Hallertau 3.9AAU 15mins
1oz Bitter Orange Peel 15mins
1tsp Irish Moss 15mins
.5oz Styrian Goldings 1.9AAU 3mins

Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Wyeast 5112 Brett. Brux

OG 1.058
FG 1.010

I kept in primary for two weeks, and just finished racking to secondary and pitching the Brett. Calling it Rev. Martin's King Ale, since I brewed it on MLK day. Gonna keep it in secondary till August. Hopefully it turns out good!!!

I am not familiar Orval, but why such a long secondary? 1.058 is not a very high gravity beer.

Am I missing something, does the Brett. Brux yeast take a while to do what you are wanting? What was your gravity going into the secondary?

I am not familiar Orval, but why such a long secondary? 1.058 is not a very high gravity beer.

Am I missing something, does the Brett. Brux yeast take a while to do what you are wanting? What was your gravity going into the secondary?

Yea, brett can take up to a year to do its thing.

Orval is a Belgian Trappist ale. Its one of my favorites. You should try it out. Yea 1.058 is no where near high gravity, but when I got the ingredients at the LHBS I was intending on making an Orval clone which is a Trappist ale. The book only suggested using cultured yeast from a bottle of Orval. The guy at the store recomended the Wyeast Trappist ale. I didnt notice the "high gravity." Its cool though. And as Edcculs stated, the long secondary is to let the Brett do its thing. So we will see how it turns out.

Back