bourbon wood aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusty83

Reaction score
I got nip of some really old henry mckenna bourbon and Im trying to age some dark roast wood chips for a darker habanero ipa im working on. I had a couple of concepts I was trying to understand. For one some people say you dont taste the bourbon when you mix it with the chips, which I think is impossible given the strong essence of bourbon. Secondly, in aging, do I want leave air in the container or not. I want to leave it in a bag with the chips then vacuum seal the whole thing and age that for a few weeks. Is vacuum sealing a good idea? Also, do I want to age the chips in a hot or cold environment. The temperature has got to make a difference. Lastly, do the chips maintain the bourbon essence even after they are used in the beer batch. If they dont hold the essence after batch, aging your wood chips in bourbon is completely pointless other than the fact that they will be disinfected as you can just pour bourbon in the batch if you really want the flavor. Im thinking if you age them long enough, theyll accumulate a nice flavor over time, especially as they move through batches.

Latest posts

Back