no thermometer in my new kit? hmmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
My basic brewers best kit says on the box that it comes with a thermometer. Well all the parts of the kit are there, but there "thermometer" is the type you peel and stick onto the fermentation vessel.

Now how am I suppose to get the temp. of the wort after boiling etc, without a submersible thermometer? :drunk:

That strip thermometer is just for you to see the temperature of your fermenting beer. You will need to get a separate thermometer for checking wort temp while in the brew kettle, mash tun, etc..

John

I use a good old fashioned candy thermometer. It starts at 90, and goes way up to about 300 or more. When it gets before 90, I guestimate it and then put it in my fermentor, which has the stick on thermometer. But a nice accurate thermometer would be preferable just for ease of use.

Lorena

Well, you could just chill you wort like you would regardless, whether you use a wort chiller, ice bath, etc., but make sure to chill the wort a lilttle extra, just to be safe. Then you should pour or strain your wort into your primary with the thermometer on it. If your temp is a little high for pitching, throw your top and airlock on it and let it sit for a little while. I know it isn't perfect by any means, but its all I can think of without any other type of thermometer.

EDIT: well it looks like Lorena already beat me to it!

My girlfriend has about 3 meat thermometers. 2 digital ones, and one metal one. Would it be ok to sterilize one of these and utilize it for the time being? Dont know if any chicken juice etc will spoil the brew :p

Pugilist said:
My girlfriend has about 3 meat thermometers. 2 digital ones, and one metal one. Would it be ok to sterilize one of these and utilize it for the time being? Dont know if any chicken juice etc will spoil the brew :p

As long as its sanitized, you should be ok.

Beerhead said:
As long as its sanitized, you should be ok.

True, but a candy thermometer costs next to nothing at WalMart. If you can afford a brew kit, you can afford a couple of dollars for a candy thermometer. It works great for testing while cooking. Mine goes down to 75 F, so I can use it for the cooling wort, too.

I didn't use a thermometer for several of my first few batches.

If you're doing partial boils and you can pick up the pot by the sides without burning yourself add your top off water and you should be OK to pitch.

This should work unless you are a commercial fisherman, professioal bongo player, or NFL Lineman.

I have been a professional bongo player for 10 years, so I suppose I should buy a new candy thermometer. :)

Back