My First Try Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought I would share. I attempted my first self designed recipe a few months back and finally got it on tap this past week. I will post the recipe below.
7 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Black Barley
2 lbs Chyrstal 80L
2 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Roasted Barley
2 oz East Kent Goldings
2 Packs of American Ale II

I let this ferment for a month before doing a week secondary on top of 4 vanilla bean pods that were soaked in a glass of Makers Mark. I tasted after primary and it was WAY TOO BITTER and I thought this was going to be my first dumper. But I went ahead and kegged anyways and let it carb up over a week at 12.40PSI. Well ladies and gentlemen it is delicious. Very chocolaty but not bitter at all. Very drinkable. I am pretty psyched how this went.

Glad it worked out for you! Just an observation here but that is A LOT of black malt. You could get away with doing much less and still get the color you want. Darker malts tend to be more bitter which could explain why it tasted that way after the primary. Im surprised it mellowed out for you.

Yeah that is what a few friends said. I too am surprised it mellowed because it was disgustingly bitter. I though for sure it was a dumper. Tastes very chocolatly.

Back