Starsan info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001SE

Reaction score
Would like to know the best way of using starsan. I just mixe 1 oz starsan with 5 gallons of water in a plastic bucket. I just drop my equipemnt in the bucket when I need to sanatise. I will be checking the PH level and adding starsan if I need to. Now is this the best way, or should I just make a fresh batch everytime I'm having a brew day?

There are people on here that just spray their equipment with a spray bottle. I make a new 5 gal batch every time I brew and dump it when I'm done. Its not that expensive, less than a dollar a brew, and you don't get nice clean sanitizer every time.

I just mix up a gallon as needed and use spray bottles. I spray down all of my post boil fermentation stuff multiple times as I am boiling. Works great.

A little off topic, but how in the heck do you get the starsan from the bottle up to the ounce measure? I tried like crazy the other day and ended up having to spoon it in.

There's a sticky at the top of this section on it from a guy who worked at 5-star, he transcribed the podcast from below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/charlie-talley-five-star-chemicals-notes-brewcasts-58928/

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

Click me to listen (MP-3)

The squish measuring is a cool feature, BUT I think I'm getting arthritis in my hands, and squeezing the bottle has been difficult lately, I'll probably endup getting one of those premeasured cough medicine spoons fromt he drug store.

Back