OG and Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Ok guys, quick question. Made a summer brew about two weeks ago. OG was supposed to be 1.051 but it wound up being 1.046. I think I might have taken my OG when the wort was still a little warm. This was a partial mash brew.

My question is how much does heat affect your OG.

If the wort was still warm and you did a partial boil (diluted with cold water) then it's possible the wort wasn't fully mixed when you took your reading giving you a slightly inaccurate reading. But getting 1.046 when you were expecting 1.051 isn't bad and I wouldn't lose any sleep, your beer will be just fine. Since you mention a partial mash it's possible you didn't get the full conversion you were expecting. I know my first mashes were only about 60% efficient until I refined my technique, now I'm consistently at 75%. Monitor your next few mashes closely (take a hydrometer reading from the kettle) to determine what your efficiency is. That'll help you plan recipes better (i.e.use a little more grain if your efficiency is low).

Latest posts

Back