That Bucket Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Anyone know a good way to get rid of the previous batch's smell out of the primary and bottling buckets? I made sure to wash and rinse both out immediately after finishing bottling, but when I opened up my storage bucket to put something back in, I noticed my primary and bottling buckets still smelled pretty strongly.

I know I'll wash & sanitize them again before my next batch, but it doesn't seem like anything is getting the smell of that first batch out. Can this impart anything bad into my next batch?

not sure, but I wouldn't think you'd have problems with weird flavor crossover. unless you're brewing some more wild beers, you're really only going to have common beer compounds trapped up in the plastic. +1 to the baking soda though, I've used it on other stuff. you might also consider putting your bottling bucket in the sun for a few mins - UV from the sun is usually pretty awesome as an odor neutralizer.

Or maybe your hoppy odor residue will just turn into a skunky odor residue...

I have used the following products, depending on the material being cleaned, and have had no smells left behind for three batches, with the exception of a large plastic hose:
OxyClean
Powdered Brewer's Wash
Classic Dawn With Bleach Dish Soap

+1 on the oxyclean soak. I just asked this question a week or so back and that's what i was in the process of trying when I posted. Got out a good chunk of the smell (not completely obviously, but enough.)

Latest posts

Back