DC Area Group Buy #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it okay for me to show up at 11 to grab my three sacks? I wouldn't ask if I didn't have tickets to Hop Blossom all the way out in Winchester which starts at noon. Regardless thanks to all who have helped make this happen.

Is it okay for me to show up at 11 to grab my three sacks? I wouldn't ask if I didn't have tickets to Hop Blossom all the way out in Winchester which starts at noon. Regardless thanks to all who have helped make this happen.

You don't have splits, sure, no problem. Or have someone else pickup for you, so you won't be late.

I also should be there by noon, might could be there by 1130 but I can't be sure. Sorry I can't make it earlier, but if there are still splits to be made when I get there I'm happy to help. I'll be able to bring a 10# scale and a couple of bags.

We should start with PBW and extract. Then move onto grains.

Excellent, we got you down for those. :p

We have a few people that need to get out ASAP so we'll prioritize according to their orders, me thinks. This means we may have 8 open bags standing up to fill their orders first.

We'll work it out, we're the best!

I also should be there by noon, might could be there by 1130 but I can't be sure. Sorry I can't make it earlier, but if there are still splits to be made when I get there I'm happy to help. I'll be able to bring a 10# scale and a couple of bags.

No need for the scale, I think we have plenty. But an extra hand we'll take.

Are you picking up for Petey44 too?

This is my first group buy so I don't have a feel for the logistics. I'm picking up a sack of Briess 2-row and a 5lb split of Gambrinus honey. Something has come up and I need to be in Rockville at 11:30. I can be at 3-Star at any time. If I'm there at 10:30 (or even 10:15) would I be able to contribute anything to the distro if I need to leave at 11? Otherwise suppose I would need someone to pick up my order.

This is my first group buy so I don't have a feel for the logistics. I'm picking up a sack of Briess 2-row and a 5lb split of Gambrinus honey. Something has come up and I need to be in Rockville at 11:30. I can be at 3-Star at any time. If I'm there at 10:30 (or even 10:15) would I be able to contribute anything to the distro if I need to leave at 11? Otherwise suppose I would need someone to pick up my order.

We can't get in until 11am, unless the head brewer comes in earlier, which we are hoping for, but no guarantee.
It takes us 10-15 minutes to sort the sacks and start splitting. It's tight, and it will be tough to get to Rockville in 15 minutes from there.

So I'd say make other arrangements, or swing by early, in the off-chance we can get to the grains early.

Maybe talk to Stonebrewer and pick up from him? Mind you, there could be a hefty ransom amount involved ;)

Al,

If this is going to rub up against your timeline too close, I can just pick up for you and Jason, and you guys can grab from me later.

Up to you.

We can't get in until 11am, unless the head brewer comes in earlier, which we are hoping for, but no guarantee.
It takes us 10-15 minutes to sort the sacks and start splitting. It's tight, and it will be tough to get to Rockville in 15 minutes from there.

So I'd say make other arrangements, or swing by early, in the off-chance we can get to the grains early.

Maybe talk to Stonebrewer and pick up from him? Mind you, there could be a hefty ransom amount involved ;)

I'm feeling lucky. I'll be there early and negotiate the ransom if I need to bolt before the honey is split.

I'll be there to pick up my grain; I think that was your assumption stonebrewer but just confirming. I'll try and get there a little early to help with splits too.

Josh

We should make HBT t-shirts for these occasions. Something like this:

HBT_shirt.png

All I have a pickup truck and live in silver spring. I can pick up grain for folks but wouldn't be able to deliver

Al,

If this is going to rub up against your timeline too close, I can just pick up for you and Jason, and you guys can grab from me later.

Up to you.

Let me call you after work.

I really want to go but don't want to mess you up leaving early. Plus I am on scale duty so I don't want to let the group down!! I was looking to maybe do a quick taste test and grab a growler for home.

Does the majority think we will be done by Noon?

With the later start it is not gonna work out for me being there tomorrow. Sorry gents, was looking forward to meeting everyone.

Redskinfan is going to grab Masonsjax and my (CaptainAl) grain's for us tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Guys,

My bad but I had to be out of the house early this morning due to unforeseen circumstances. Thinking I would be able to get back there before coming to the buy, I left my scales. Unfortunately, that isn't gonna happen....

Will still be there to help, though.

Guys,

My bad but I had to be out of the house early this morning due to unforeseen circumstances. Thinking I would be able to get back there before coming to the buy, I left my scales. Unfortunately, that isn't gonna happen....

Will still be there to help, though.

Sorry to hear you had to dash out like that.

Don't worry we still have 4 scales lined up till 12 noon.
CYA later

And a great time too. Grabbed a couple growler's on my way out. Brewing a cilantro/chipotle what and imbibing as we speak!

Many thanks to Stonebrewer and IslandLizard for all the hard work in coordinating the buy - all went smooth as silk! Ed

Thanks to everyone who helped organize and execute this. And thanks to three stars brewing company for hosting us. Id love to make another trip to enjoy all the brew on tap next visit. Jr had me a bit tied down but I'm glad I'm not the only nut to drag a toddler out to a brewery.

Yes thanks and now I need to buy a mill

Monster mill II does it for me with the accessory base plate and hopper.

Thanks to everyone helping out and making this another very successful buy. Given the amount of splits (73!) and number of buyers involved, we finished in record time.

Special thanks to funnycreature who saved the day by bringing those lawn bags! Those rice hulls were quite a project, just wish we had video rolling, would have been hilarious in fast motion.

Good seeing all of you and wish we had more time to sample and shoot the breeze. :mug:

Hats off to 3 Stars for accommodating us in such a nice and friendly way. :rockin:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/dc-area-group-buy-9-a-478195/

I put the next buy thread up, location is above. Frits and I are talking about making some changes to the buy rules and process. One idea we are mulling over is all split buyers pay Frits instead of each other. I'll let him explain his thoughts, but I like the idea as getting everyone on the same page here is like herding cats that drink beer :D Another thing we are talking about is a minimum order requirement of say 15-20 pounds or so. Splits are a real PITA so splitting things like DME and rice hulls may be reviewed. We would REALLY appreciate more people bringing containers, especially bags as it seems Frits is supplying them week in and week out and that isn't fair. Keith and a couple of others have contributed buckets which really help, but if EVERYONE would bring SOMETHING to the split party it would be much, much appreciated (like Sven did with the leaf bags this split...that was REALLY helpful!!). We are a community and Frits and I do this because we love brewing and hanging out with you guys talking about brewing. Don't be that guy who stops in, snags a sack, and runs. Bring a beer for Frits to say thanks, or help with the splits, or bring some bags, or bring a scale, or help the group split. There is a lot you can do to help and we all would benefit from it and appreciate it. New guy JodyLondon asked if he could help and carried sacks out to cars. That is the kind of thing that we all should be doing...

Thanks go out to all the guys who helped split (Frits, the man!, robfar, pikevillebrew, reddskinnfan, ewrzenski, ovenfreshbread, anyone else who I may have missed!!)!!!

Thanks to those who brought buckets, bags, etc.

Thanks to those who just hung out and pitched in when needed.

Thanks to the great guys at 3 Stars who make this happen for us!!!

We all understand that sometime you are in a time crunch and need to snag and bolt, but try to contribute a little something back like your spare grocery bags for splits and everyone benefits!!

Cheers all!!

^ Well said Tony, Amen!

Yeah, someone's missing from that list. Special thanks to another new guy, peter78, for weighting out so many splits. He also brought some great samples in really nice big bottles!

Speaking of, Tony and I really appreciate receiving beer samples. The more the better. Not only because it's nice to receive a gift, but also to taste someone else's take on brewing. I've had some eye-openers that way. I know most of us only keg, so filling bottles is usually an afterthought, last minute decision. Especially to those who go through the extra trouble and remember the gift of beer, I'm raising my glass :mug:

For the love of brewing, let's keep this going and try to make it a little better each time.

As long as splits for PBW and DME stay around, I am cool with the changes. Rice Hulls are a different story... a bag is cheap enough that it doesn't need to be split.

P.S. I brought buckets and garden bags too...

:)

As long as splits for PBW and DME stay around, I am cool with the changes. Rice Hulls are a different story... a bag is cheap enough that it doesn't need to be split.

P.S. I brought buckets and garden bags too...

:)

Mike, you're automatically acknowledged. You are the North-West lifeline of the group, and always schlepping more than just your own. Now with building your new rig you'll need more grain. What size are you looking at, 1 bbl?

Tony and I have some ideas that will benefit all of us, but nothing drastic. Of course we're open to suggestions and input. PBW is easy, DME is a pain, and you know all about rice hulls. :D

It's not the price of the hulls, it's the huge brick sitting in the corner getting stale. I paid $1.50 a pound last time at Annapolis HB, which by the way has a huge selection of grain in stock. Over a 100 varieties and almost complete lines of Briess and Weyermann.

PS: I think you left some lawn bags on the table at 3 Stars.

Back