Keezer build with picnic taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver02ws6

Reaction score
Im buying myself a kegging setup for my birthday, I hate bottling so bad it actually keeps me from brewing. Is there any down side to buying a chest freezer setting everything up and initially just using picnic taps to put the beer into glasses/growlers/ direct pout into mouth etc?

I want to eventually do a full on Keezer build but one step at a time.

I just did the same thing. I'm eventually going to buy faucets as finances allow but right now am using picnic taps. The downside is having to open the keezer every time to get a beverage, and the drips from the picnic taps are making a mess. It's manageable when it's just me, but when we have a party the thing gets trashed and left open alot. But since it's just temporary I deal with it.

That this would be a good solution for the time being. thanks for the quick replies. Kegging here i come!

picnic taps work great, it is what I am currently using. But as others said there are a couple down falls. Constantly opening the door to get a beer wastes energy and the drips do make a mess. I plan on getting a 3 or 4 tap setup installed in my fridge door soon

Make sure to frequently unhook your lines, I accidently dumped 2 gallons of cranberry skeeter pee, nothing like looking at a pool of alcohol at the bottom of the keezer....quickly upgraded to perlicks

Make sure to frequently unhook your lines, I accidently dumped 2 gallons of cranberry skeeter pee, nothing like looking at a pool of alcohol at the bottom of the keezer....quickly upgraded to perlicks

I don't understand how a picnic tap should be unhooked frequently...I would think any tap could be accidently knocked open?

Back