Emergency-what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
I am brewing right now and have finished my mash and am presently sparging. I needed to transfer the beer presently in my primary into a secondary to free up my primary for the wort that is cooking right now. While sanitizing the secondary, the secondary broke. Now before I can free up my primary to receive the wort that is cooking now, I need to bottle another beer that is in another secondary. This will take around 4+ hours and the beer I am brewing now is ready for hop additions.
So I will not have a fermenter for the beer that is cooking until I bottle (a delay of 4+ hours). Should I:

1. Cool the wort down now before boiling and adding hops and then re-boil later today when I have a fermenter availabe? Is it bad to have two hot breaks and two cold breaks?
or
2. Carry on the brewing cool the boiled and hopped wort and let it sit for the 4 hours while I bottle and then put in the primary fermenter?

This is a partial mash brew and I will be adding extract later in the boil also.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lucas

Finish the batch & cool it. Keep it covered. You could pitch the yeast, but four hours in the kettle (assuming you not using a counterflow chiller) won't be a problem.

Many pros have fermenters that can take two or three batches of wort and pitch once the last batch is in.

Like previously stated, keep the lid on and you should be fine. No offense intended, but 4+ hours seems awful long to bottle, are you cleaning them too?

I have to sanitize the bottles and it is more like 3 hours from start of bottle soak to completion of capping and moving things out of kitchen. Thanks for responding so quickly I am about half way throught the boil now.
Lucas

Back