Need a White Labs recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for my extract Bourbon Vanilla Porter. My LHBS stopped carrying Wyeast so it needs to be White Labs. I'm thinking WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale. It would be ideal if the yeast can thrive as low as 60F.

Here's my recipe:
5lb Extra Light DME
3lb Dark LME
1.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Crystal 120L
.25lb Black Patent
1oz Chinook (60 Minutes)
.5oz US Golding (15 Minutes)
.5oz US Golding (5 Minutes)
1.5tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract (Secondary)
16oz Maker's Mark (Secondary)

Hm, my LHBS has Danstar Nottingham. Should I be worried about the recall? Also, they describe it like this:

"Danstar Nottingham: A great, hard-working alcohol-tolerant fermenter. This is currently our most poular dried yeast, and will ferment most beers down to a crisp, clean, dry finish. Great for IPA, pale ales, stouts or any beer where you want to emphasize hops, and leave little to no malty sweetness..."

That doesn't sound like what I'm looking for in my Porter. They also have Windsor, but state that it doesn't do well with high alcohol beers.

Thanks for your replies. I did some reading and I think I'll go with the Nottingham like you suggested. Their website says that it's good even below 60F. I'll just have to make sure the store knows about the recall.

So I made a starter with the Nottingham yeast today. I was very surprised to find that it started fermenting within an hour of pitching. Looking forward to brew day.

When I pitch the starter into my wort, I'm guessing I should shake it up first?

You don't need a starter with dry yeast. However, since you made one... Let it settle, pour the clear-ish liquid off the top (and discard it), and pitch the thick slurry at the bottom.

Sounds like you have made up your mind, but I have done a lot of experimenting with Porters over the last year and WL002 English Ale is easily my favorite.

Back