Odd capping problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
The slight ovoid shape of the cap shows is subtle but for real. It apparently is caused by the cap itself, as it recurs with caps from one certain bag only.

I've matched the "mystery caps" with caps that crimp on evenly, and they look exactly the same size.

The crimp appears normal when viewed from side-on. It happens with both my Agata bench capper and my wing capper, but only when using caps from one particular bag.

Has anyone seen this problem before or know what might cause it?

cap problem-RS-5.jpg

cheap caps. look at your bench capper, it has a little stick in the middle that pushes the cap down. cheap thin caps bend with it.

elmetal, If you're referring to the circular depression near the center of the cap, that didn't happen until I crimped a second and third time with considerable force in an effort to ensure a good seal. I'm pretty well familiar with that.

The defect I'm concerned about is harder to see in the pic. I will try to post larger pic.

So, the oxy caps always cap "out of round" for you? That's interesting. Have you tried a different capper or caps from a different supplier?

Yeah, the bottles seem to be sealed. The odd thing is that I cannot feel any points or bumps on the caps. But at certain lighting angles, something obviously looks out of round. And the "ovoid" rotates with the bottle. So I figure it must be real.

So far, the problem seems unique to one particular bag of bottle caps.

i have had that oval shape in the middle for a while now. its never given me any carbonation issues and always holds an airtight seal. i wouldn't worry about it unless you are concerned with the cosmetic looks of the cap.

Never seen caps that go out of round when crimping on. It is hard to see this from your picture. Hard to say what's causing it. Did you buy these caps from the same place as your other caps?

P.S. I will not comment on the indentation, because I know that is not what you are asking about! :D

Yea it seems to be the silver oxy caps that go on "out of round." I have been using a red baron wing capper but just got a Italian floor corker with the capping attachment. Hopefully this will solve the problem. Haven't tried it yet.

Shooter, The caps were purchased from my goto supplier and I've never had this problem with any other package. The ovoid effect is along the very outside edge of the cap--looks like a dull point at opposite ends. This image has been processed with crude arrows at end points of the "ovoid". Hope this makes things clearer.

Capping Problem-GRRS-4.jpg

Back