Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinito78610

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but here goes....

I bottled my first batch a few weeks ago. I know some floaties are normal but what is considered too much? The beers towards the end of the bottling cycle have ALOT of sediment. Are they throw aways? or should I just be real careful when pouring?:mug:

What do you mean by floaties? If you get a little sediment into the bottling bucket that won't hurt anything. Even if some gets into a bottle or two it will settle out. Now stuff that is floating I'm not to sure about.

I've let too much sediment into my bottling bucket before- so some bottles had a lot of sediment and others had the typical light dusting of spent yeast. The ones with too much sediment I drank at home (with no effects- ill or otherwise- that I could tell) The rest I let be seen by the general public.
Throwing beer away is alcohol abuse- I bet you made nothing worse than a few bottles of ugly beer.

In a related but developing story- I brewed a honey wheat that had a lot of sediment in the primary that never did settle fully- Some around here suggested that it could be wax, etc. Now, in the secondary- I notice that some of the stuff is still floating. I plan to avoid it when racking to the bucket. I'll let it sit a while and should any "Floaties" arise- I'll scoop them out with a sanitized spoon- or perhaps some other more creative utensil. (karate Kid was on last night).

Yeah its just sediment. When the bottle is agitated they become "floaties". Im hoping it will taste fine. But with it being my first batch I think I will wait to show it off.

I bet that it will taste fine, and that you end up showing at least some of it off. I have not been doing this long- but after over a dozen batches of brew- I've never had things go 100% according to plan.
Was the primary plastic? thats why I did what you did. I use mostly glass- with the exception of the ease of cleaning- I find it way better than plastic- (just my opinion)

Actually with it being my first time, I used a Mr. Beer kit. OKAY OKAY stop laughing.
So yes the primary and only fermentor was plastic. I am upgrading and getting a real brewkit this Friday from Austin Homebrew. So I will be considering this next batch my real first batch.

Okay I broke down and chilled a bottle when I got off work today. I just popped it open and its not bad at all. If this is what I can do woth a Mr.Beer kit I cant wait to see what I do with a real set up. I am kind of proud of my self!:ban:

Congrats on your first brew! I have a sneaking suspicion you bottled a little early, which is understandable.

Either way, make sure you take a final gravity measurement before you bottle to make sure the fermentation is done.

Back