I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 minutes would be awesome. I got an hour and fifteen minutes at an average of about 62 miles an hour.
I thought I was going to be closer to an hour, but I start work at 7:30 am. So, my commute is just before rush hour traffic starts.

You either live right by an on ramp or you are in the middle of nowhere if you are averaging 60+

Either way an hour and a quarter is damn long.
Alternately, you work strange hours so traffic isn't really an issue.

My commute is about 50', and about 5 minutes if you include making coffee, taking the dog out back for potty and feeding, and skimming the paper.
Now that's what I call a nice commute. :)

Did you, or anyone else here with a long commute, choose to be that far out or did it just end up like that somehow?
I'm not entirely sure this is directed at me, but no I didn't really choose that commute. I worked my way into a department that I liked at a building that was a 25 minute commute in traffic. No highway driving either. The company reorganized some of the departments. Now I work for a main section of the company that is in the corporate building. They want everybody in that main section of the company in the same building. So, I have to commute to the new building. Go through a mandatory shift change, etc, etc, for that location.

Well yeah you and to everybody else basically. I'm just curious how these long commutes end up happening. House first or job first or what went down to cause it?

Hi friends!

Check out this beauty. A German client of mine just gave me this. I told her I'd like to start making pipes as a hobby, and she went and grabbed it and handed it to me.

A friend has been doing some research, and it turns out it could be from the late 1800's possibly.

If so, I can't believe she gave it to me. She does really like my employees and I, though. She's always giving us stuff...

IMG-20131009-00298.jpg

IMG-20131009-00299.jpg

Hi friends!

Check out this beauty. A German client of mine just gave me this. I told her I'd like to start making pipes as a hobby, and she went and grabbed it and handed it to me.

A friend has been doing some research, and it turns out it could be from the late 1800's possibly.

If so, I can't believe she gave it to me. She does really like my employees and I, though. She's always giving us stuff...
That's pretty cool Stauff. Do you smoke a pipe? I thought you were more of a once a week cigar guy?

That's pretty cool Stauff. Do you smoke a pipe? I thought you were more of a once a week cigar guy?

I do indeed smoke a pipe. Maybe 2-3 times a week. I am indeed a once, maybe twice a week cigar smoker. The cigars are more seasonal, though. I smoke a pipe all year round and cigars in fall and winter.

Hmm, the bread for the pizza turned out ok. Nice and lite. The bubbles where a bit larger then I wanted for my target texture. I believe punching the dough down a couple of times while it was in the fridge would fix that though.

TN, I haven't made the focaccia because I don't have all the ingredients. That will definitely be the next bread recipe I make though. :)

Interesting. Since I'm on vacation I could basically get sloshed every night if I wanted to. A couple of years ago that would have sounded like a great idea. Now, not so much. I've had a few drinks since I went on vacation, but I haven't actually gotten drunk once. I suppose that's a good thing? I am a bit bored right now though. I got the spare room cleaned out completely. Walls and floors scrubbed, some previous resident sprayed soda on all of the walls. Got all of the holes in the walls filled. It's just waiting for paint. Then I can start putting it together as an actual guest room.

I don't think I mentioned this, but there is a skunk that likes to hang out on my back property. It dug a hole under my gate to it so it could come and go as it pleased. It also dug out a space under two of my sheds. Not primary burrows, at least I don't think so. More like hiddy holes in case a fox or something was around. Yesterday I dug a trough right under my gate and filled it with fast set concrete. I did the same for the burrows under my sheds. Hopefully it will stop hanging around my property.

I'm a 47min commute each way. I guess I could move, but a) who would want to love in this cesspool, and b) this job is a rung on the ladder for me.

Hopefully you can use that rung on the ladder to climb out of the love cesspool.

I rebuilt a day bed frame for my mother today. The angle iron cross supports had broken. Not the end pieces, the ones in the middle that make the frame more rigid. She also didn't like that it was difficult to make the bed with the metal frame rising so high on three sides. I ground out the rivets for the cross supports with my angle grinder. Punched the rest of the rivet out. Then cut a couple pieces of 2"x72"x1/8" stock down so it was the right length. Drilled holes on either end, and bolted through the rivet holes. I haven't drilled through metal since Jr high. I burned up two bits before I remembered I needed cutting oil. Oh well, I'll remember next time. After that, I cut legs out of 4"x4" stock. Took a groove out of each one so the they would fit around the angled frame with my angle grinder. Lined those all up under the corner braces, drilled a hole all the way through and bolted it to the frame. Altogether it came out fairly well.

It looked kinda like this when I started. Not as fancy though.
daybed-metal.jpg

My mother likes how the interlocking wire of the frame feels under the bed, but actually dislikes everything else about day beds. :p

I just noticed I partly melted my shirt from the sparks the angle grinder threw off. Crap. Now I have to look for another casual shirt.

Hmm...the SWMBO seems to be warming to my brewing hobby. She keeps poking at the carboy with the Merlot and asking "When can you drink it?". "Patience!" is my reply.

She is not much of a drinker, but she had a Sauvignon Blanc in Chile that she keeps talking about 3 years later. I think my next wine will be a Sauvignon Blanc, strangely enough ;)

Hmm...the SWMBO seems to be warming to my brewing hobby. She keeps poking at the carboy with the Merlot and asking "When can you drink it?". "Patience!" is my reply.

She is not much of a drinker, but she had a Sauvignon Blanc in Chile that she keeps talking about 3 years later. I think my next wine will be a Sauvignon Blanc, strangely enough ;)

Just got done with the first stage of a gewurztraminer and a pinot noir, both Cellar Classic brand. Now I leave them in the fermentors for two weeks before racking, oaking, and stabilizing. At which point I'll use both those same new wine fermentors for an old vine zinfandel (Cellar Classic Winery Series) and an amarone (En Primeur); those will take a bit longer...

I'm probably going to bottle the Merlot around Thanksgiving. I have 6 gallons of apfelwein waiting in the primary that I think I'd like to rack to the carboy for a while so it can drop clear. I'm just going to carb that in beer bottles, but I'd like to keep the lees to a minimum. I might start a Sauvignon Blanc in the house over the winter as I'll have time to take care of it after school gets out.

Really not a fan of merlot, or even cabernet sauvignon for that matter. Not that I hate them, just don't particularly like them enough to voluntarily drink them. To the point that when I'm asked if I want red or white wine, I have to ask them what kind the red is.

Hmm, I've been thinking about doing some real wine this winter. I've only got one slot available for a fermentor right now though, and that's reserved for the rhodemel. I think I yielded enough petals this year to do a larger batch then last year. Probably enough for 3 gallons of mead, instead of the 1 I got last year. I started collecting the petals a little late in the season last year.

I'm just not much of a wine drinker. I made a wine with white grape juice and bakers yeast 2.5 years ago that was pretty good actually. I have a bottle that's been aging since then. I might open it soon.

I also made a one gallon batch of apfelwein around the same time, but I didn't care for that one much. I think I still have a 12oz of that one too in a closet.

The peach/white grape juice/honey wine I recently made is the first wine I've made since. I still plan to make a large batch with all of the peaches I have in the freezer. Mainly because I have a lot of peaches in the freezer.....

I'm just not much of a wine drinker. I made a wine with white grape juice and bakers yeast 2.5 years ago that was pretty good actually. I have a bottle that's been aging since then. I might open it soon.

I also made a one gallon batch of apfelwein around the same time, but I didn't care for that one much. I think I still have a 12oz of that one too in a closet.

The peach/white grape juice/honey wine I recently made is the first wine I've made since. I still plan to make a large batch with all of the peaches I have in the freezer. Mainly because I have a lot of peaches in the freezer.....
Hmm, peach wine. I've been hoping to get peach juice on sale again this year. So far, no dice. Peach wine is very nice.

Hmm, peach wine. I've been hoping to get peach juice on sale again this year. So far, no dice. Peach wine is very nice.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll really like peach wine. I've never had it, so we shall see.

Back when I made the white grape wine with the bakers yeast I also made a batch of wine with cherry juice and bakers yeast. That one was very good! I used a lot for baking, and drank the rest very quickly. I wish I would have let some age like I did with the white grape.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll really like peach wine. I've never had it, so we shall see.

Back when I made the white grape wine with the bakers yeast I also made a batch of wine with cherry juice and bakers yeast. That one was very good! I used a lot for baking, and drank the rest very quickly. I wish I would have let some age like I did with the white grape.
Yeah, a good cherry juice makes a really nice wine. That's why I've got that batch with the DME running now. The OG on it is a little low without some help, but wow is it tasty. Just don't try it with tart cherries. After it ferments it tends to taste a lot like cough syrup. Well, if you've got lots of tart cherry and/or a fairly high ABV.

It looks like I'm going to run another crazy rice wine experiment. This time ten simultaneous batches. It should be interesting though.

Back