Triple Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Is in it's 1L stage!!! Tomorrow is the 2L stage and then Tuesday night is the cold crash for a 15 gallon Brew Day on Wednesday!!!!

1 = WLP885 Platinum Zurich Lager

2 = WLP800 Pilsner Lager

3 = WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager

All three were Slanted (eight slants each) so I should have PLENTY of whichever one tastes the best in 9 or so weeks....

2012_03_04_999_13.jpg

2012_03_04_999_12.jpg

I just showed my wife this post and said "See honey, I'm not that bad!" I would love to have three stir-plates or even a nice work area like you have for brewing. How big is your fermentation chamber/fridge if you're doing three lagers at the same time?

The stir plates are $42.00 each on homebrewstuff.com (cheap). The work area is a $50 laminate counter top from Lowe's on top of half sized shelving unit (as in you can build it fairly cheap and the laminate can be sanitized!).

I use a chest freezer with temp controller that can fit exactly three 5 gallon buckets as primaries. Then I have a larger chest freezer that can fit exactly six 6 gallon carboys for the lagering stage. Then keg them in cornelius kegs and into the old converted refrigerator (shelves removed and wooden bottom built full length/width. Fits 4 soda kegs with some extra space on the side.

Stepped up to 2L per starter and I'm attempting the FOAM stoppers from Austin Homebrew - fully sanitized with OneStep - awesome idea compared to aluminum foil. WOW that WL Zurich Lager is flocculating like a BEAST in there!!! It's basically blowing yeast chunks!

2012_03_05_999_7.jpg

2012_03_05_999_6.jpg

That is the White Labs Zurich lager yeast - it was flocculating like that within 2 hours on the 1L starter and in that photo had only been on the 2L starter for 10 minutes.

This vial was a BEAST in both the 1L (1st gen) and 2L (2nd gen) starters... And it was dated Best By 2/14/2012 but just put into service 3/4/2012. And dang that stuff stores up some CO2 in the vial - it sprayed all over when I cracked the vial open...

Wait, your 1L starter and 2L starters looked to have quite a bit less than that volume filled with starter+yeast. if I have a 1L flask filled to 500 mL I'd call it a 500 mL starter, not a 1L starter. Have I misunderstood something along the way?

Nope! The recipe I use is a 1.020 starter - roughly 2oz of DME to 800 ml of H2O. Gives the yeast a run for their money in the anaerobic stages of their life - as in they flocculate a little better... Less food means more competition (see the National Geographic Channel for more info on this concept - LOL). Only 800ml +/- 50ml in the flask leaves some space above the mix for CO2/O2 mixing and absorption. Fill it to the top and you don't have that opportunity.

Back