Off taste only in some bottles, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Ok my first "have I screwed my beer"/"RDWHAHB" thread;

So I bottled a coopers kit (mexican no boil kit) a while ago and I am now drinking it. The funny thing is some of the bottles have a off taste that I am guessing is acetaldehyde from the troubleshooting on how to brew (ed. 1 - internet) as I would liken the taste it to cut grass.
Ok now the errors I made to get here:
Fermented to hot ~24 deg C - yeast produced off flavours.
Only 1 week in primary before bottling (hydrometer check out ok) - no time for yeast to clean up off flavours.
I am using sodium metabisulphite to sterilise and purge air from bottles (not so much an error but yes I will buy a no rinse sanitiser when I run out sodium met. soon)

The annoying thing is the beer does taste good as only some bottles have the off flavour (and some only slightly so it is more of a sweetness with a slight tang). Even the off tasting beer is drinkable. Its a bit of a gamble if you get a good one, i.e will not give this to anyone, but I can chug it down and try again!

Now does anyone have any sugestions on what to do with these and whether time will heal it?
Any ideas why it is only some bottles that have the taste, and the reason for the different levels?
que - RDWHAHB

As for what to do with the bottles the general rule of thumb with beer is that time cures. Let those bottles sit and age and it is possible that the off flavors might disappear.

The cause of the off flavors is hard to pinpoint. It is possible that you had poor sanitation in some of the bottles and as a result those bottles got tainted. Another possibility could be where you stored your bottles. Could some of the bottles have been in contact with a heat source?

sounds like its the bottles just sanitizing isn't enough they got to be clean first
have you tried a cleaner with a base of sodium percarbonate?
this happened to me and after using the cleaner no more off bottles good luck!

sounds like its the bottles just sanitizing isn't enough they got to be clean first
have you tried a cleaner with a base of sodium percarbonate?
this happened to me and after using the cleaner no more off bottles good luck!
Thanks for the replies. Yeah the bottles were cleaned first. Rinse, clean, rinse, sanitise. I rinse all my bottles out imediatly after pouring as well so they don't usually have any caked on crud.
Maybe it is some slight change from the front to back of the cupboard I keep them in. Oh well might just put a few away and try them in a few months to see if they just needed time to mellow (I think they have been in bottles about 2 or 3 months now)
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back