Hard cider into wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUinDC

Reaction score
I have a few 1 gallon batches of cider that I want to put into wine bottles. If I was going to backsweeten them a bit, put them into regular wine bottles, and then bottle pasteurize them, how long would I be able to allow them to slightly carbonate before I would get into trouble?

I know that wine bottles are not suggested for beer, but do you think that I could give it 2-3 days of "carbing" with some backsweetening before I pasteurize and kill the yeast? or do you think I should just keep it 100% dry?

This is my first time making cider, and I really didn't realize that wine bottles can't take the pressure :( Good thing I'm kegging my first 5gal batch.

I wouldn't try to carb in a wine bottle. even a little pressure will push out a cork or break the bottle.

I guess I'll have to bottle pasteurize right away then. I hope the freakin' corks can handle the pressure from heating up the cider. I'm starting to think I was premature in getting the corking equipment and stockpiling used wine bottles.....

Post it for sale or trade on craigs list. i bet it won't last long. Brewing stuff around here never does. I'l be happy to take it off your hands if you find yourself in the pittsburgh area.
If you're giving up the idea of carbing you could just pitch some campden and sorbate after racking then bottle it still and you won't have to pasteurize.

I probably should have read this thread before I tried to carb in a wine bottle. I have 2 cider geysers in my kitchen this morning. Lesson learned.

Why sell it? Just because this batch won't work with your equiptment, doesn't mean future batches of things you make wont. I make still meads, ciders and wine, and bottle them in wine bottles. Who's to say you won't in the future? Make a batch of mead and bottle it in wine bottles like the rest of us.

Latest posts

Back