Temperature control - Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizorZed

Reaction score
Hey all, I just transfered my brew after seven days in the primary to my glass carboy. I'm concerned that the closet I'm keeping it in will be to warm between 63-70 degrees depending on the time of day. Should I leave it put or risk shaking it up trying to get it down into my basement where it is cooler? I'm making an Imperial Pale Ale for my first shot.

I don't think 63 to 70 is something to be terribly concerned about, but if you want to move it, I wouldn't see the harm. I wouldn't roll it down the stairs, but as long as you are gently it should be ok. (I've moved a couple of my beers in a UHAUL truck before with no issues).

I actually secondary all my beers between 62 - 72 and have had no problems. Actually, when I say "secondary", I leave it in the primary fermenter but am talking more about the "secondary phase" after first 5 days or say when FG has mostly been reached. I generally like to bring them from around 64 where my average primary fermentation occurs up to closer to 70 for a few days if I'm looking for a drier finish. I think this also helps the yeast clean up after themselves a little before dropping out.

Unless you're lagering, I don't think your secondary phase really needs to be any cooler unless you're trying to cold crash the yeasties out.

Thanks for the reply, Warped. I have read so much about the dangers of oxidation that I was afraid to even bump the carboy much less move it down the stairs. I think i'll just leave it be in the closet and see how it goes.

Thanks, Houston. Glad to hear that temp works for you.

Back