Digging hop rhizome today, need helpful advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Enigma

Reaction score
So I've read all the manuals, posts, and sites on the web and have gotten lots of helpful advice on growing etc. My problem is I haven't found much in the way of the proper way to dig up a rhizome.

A friend of my father's is having me over today to see his brew setup and he has several Cascade hop plants that are several years old (probably >5). He has offered to allow me to dig up a rhizome chunk and I have 2 main questions.

1. How do I dig it so as not to damage his existing plant?

2. Any tips for what to dig up, how or if to treat with anything to prevent disease/damage, and any tips on the actual planting?

I have prepped the area by installing a pole 3-3.5 feet deep, so that is already in place. I put down about 2" of partially composted material and have been "watering" the area with my aquarium fish water. It should have all the nutrients required for some explosive growth. I just want to make sure I'm not going to harm his plant, and as important for me to get the best chance of rapid growth and hopeful hop production the first year.

So am I right to assume the larger piece of rhizome the better? How far away from the base of the hop plant? I'll have about a 30-45min drive from his place to mine. I'll wrap it in plastic and immediately plant it when I get home and lightly water. We are going to get (just my luck) down to ~34F tonight (before we are up in the 70's for the next week), so I might lightly put a blanket/tarp over the area tonight just to keep any potential frost off the surface and keep it incubated well.

OK enough rambling, thanks in advance for the help!

justin

I'm not sure about cutting, but you can easily carry the rhizome home. I'd take a plastic baggie (or several) and sprinkle some water in there. That will keep the rhizome moist until you can plant it. It won't hurt it to stay in the fridge a few days until you can plant it.

If his plants are more than 5 years old, I think he could likely spare a few of them too.

Latest posts

Back