Can Apfelwein tolerate outdoor temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braddock

Reaction score
My two day old Apfelwein already smells like ass. I fear the stench two weeks from now. Has anyone fermented their apfelwein outside? Are the temperature tolerances the same as an ale? I'm thinking about putting the fermentor on the porch tonight.

Yeah, ferment it at ale temps (60F is good).

My apfelwein never smelled bad..then again I'm used to normal fermentation smells of beer, mead and wine. I also used a different wine yeast for mine...some yeasts are REALLY obnoxious.

What yeast are you using? Lalvin 1118 is reported to tolerate between 39F-95F. I wouldn't try fermenting at 85F, but it seems like it would work. YMMV.

Just keep the fermenter out of the sun when you do it. =)

I'm using Montrachet wine yeast like Edwort's recipe calls for. Temps are cool out, will be less than 85F and more than 50F for the next month or so. I was just worried about the temperature fluctuation producing nasty yeast flavors. I love the smell of my beers fermenting by the way...the apfelwein smells like a goat is pissing in the closet though.

Smells like rhino farts to me :D. it will pass in a couple of days as the fermentation slows. I don't think you need to worry about exposure to sunlight as there are no hops. red star site says temp range is 59F to 95F.

Latest posts

Back