Substitute for Lyle’s black treacle syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I plan on brewing a Theakston's Old Peculiar clone that calls for 8 oz of Lyle’s black treacle syrup. Any ideas on a local place to get it? LHBS doesn't have it.

I am thinking Whole Foods might have some sort of Molasses that might be a good sub.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I just did an old ale today, I'm going to try to figure out how founders does there Curmudgeon. I used black strap molasses. I don't think it will be exact, but it's my best guess, they both are by products of sugar manufacturing. I looked all over hell for treacle locally, couldn't find it. I've heard it gives a very particular taste, and nothing else will be quite like it. I saw on amazon where it looked like you could have a pound shipped to you for about $12 total. I'm adding oak to mine in the secondary, and I hope that will negate anything I may have missed with treacle.

$12! Jesus, makes me grateful I can walk around the corner to the shop and get it for 79p. Haha To be honest, it's is pretty much the same as molasses, maybe with a SLIGHTLY different taste. But nothing too obvious. Do they not have any in Canada that could be shipped to you for a lot less? As It seems to be a Commonwealth wide product as Australia and New Zealand have it too...

I thought it was a little pricey too. The shipping was over half the cost. I read a few more threads and most were Aussies asking the opposite.

Most likely stocked by a local British import grocer store. Quite common around here but in other parts of the US i expect not so common.
We have fresh and easy which is a subsidiary of Tesco's (UK version of Walmart) and they have treacle for about $3.99 and have 185 stores in CA, NV, AZ. Failing that often stocked by Indian grocery stores selling spices they often have a few british based items.
May be worth having a go at making a dark invert sugar syrup starting with turbinado sugar. Haven't done it myself but a search will give you some ideas, whether it will have the same taste i don't know but i doubt it would be too far off.

It's actually Asda that is Britains version of Wal Mart, as they are the same company... Like I said before, it seems to be a Commonwealth wide product so would make sense to be in Indian food shops too.

I don't know if making a Candi Syrup would work, as they are a little different. Worth a try though. A Candi syrup I have made has had the smell of Treacle toffee before... So no harm in experimenting.

Go with Hanglow's advice. I did the same for a Peculier clone and my English friend who grew up on the stuff said it was exactly how he remembered it. Side-by-side it was pretty close. I may have used the Black Invert/No.4 sugar, dilution method.

Back