I want to build a keezer - How to do it with No woodworking skills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig_reed

Reaction score
So I really want to build a keezer, all of them on here are so beautiful and so professionally done.

My major problem? I am not a woodworker by any means. Sure I have some basic skills on how to cut, measure and drill, but when it comes down to having all of the necessary clamps, and fine craftsmanship many of them have on here, I just don't know that I have the skill.

So, is there any way to get around this (somewhat major) issue? Any realy, detailed, step by step instructions maybe? I couldn't seem to find the Leyman's version anywhere, or some with very detailed step by steps.

Cheers! :mug:

Get a freezer that is tall enough to not need a collar. Then throw a tower on top. There are plenty of people on here who just put a tower on top and a couple coats of paint on it and it looks great.

Have your girlfriend build it for you. She probably has all the necessary tools and skill to do a fine job. That's what I would do!

Building one of these things doesn't take a master cabinet maker. I'm living proof. If you can measure and cut lumber to length, then you can build a simple cabinet around the unit out of 2x4's, pop some casters on the bottom and use some kind of paneling to cover it up, trim the corners with some pre-milled trim. Fasten a piece of plywood to the top and frame a simple box for a coffin to insulate, or make a collar out of 2x8's and run taps through that. Whatever you chose, it doesn't have to be a complicated as some of us have made them. I went with a rustic look, because quite honestly it doesn't need precision wood working skills. Regardless, if you have some basic skills like you listed you will be fine. I would be happy to help along the way to answer any questions or give some hints. That's what this forum is all about....home brewers helping fellow brewers! :mug:

The key to your troubles are butt joints and these guys...

10731e50-5e45-486c-8bc9-105a197476b5_300.jpg

With enough sanding and a couple coats of paint you can fake skills pretty well.

Good luck!

Cutting, measuring and drilling are all the skills to need to modify one of these. It may not be pretty, but it'll work. Have faith in yourself. The internet allows modern man to fake skills pretty well.

I was in the same position as you, no woodworking skills and a lack of tools. After borrowing a drill and a sander, I was able to put together a pretty decent keezer. Its really not that hard, just borrow some tools and give it a shot. Or, bribe a friend who knows their **** to help. Usually homebrew, or the promise of future homebrew, works well.

I was in the same position as you, no woodworking skills and a lack of tools. After borrowing a drill and a sander, I was able to put together a pretty decent keezer. Its really not that hard, just borrow some tools and give it a shot. Or, bribe a friend who knows their **** to help. Usually homebrew, or the promise of future homebrew, works well.

I agree, it's amazing what people will do for the prospect of drinking beer from a tap.

Where in Seattle do you live?

I don't own too many tools but I grew up in a woodshop....

I might have time to stand around, drinking your beer and tell you how you're doing it wrong.. :D

Where in Seattle do you live?

I don't own too many tools but I grew up in a woodshop....

I might have time to stand around, drinking your beer and tell you how you're doing it wrong.. :D

Hahaha! I am actually south of Seattle about 20 minutes - in Lake Tapps.

More than welcome to come by! :mug:

I am a pretty crappy and inexperienced carpenter. I am in the middle of a kegerator build myself using wood. I have done everything with a hand saw and miter box($14.99 at Home Depot) and a circular saw(I borrowed this from a friend but you can find one on craigslist for less than $50 and then sell it after you are done). I went through a few pieces of lumber before I decided to simplify my design. Just because something isn't incredibly complex doesn't mean it won't look great! My advice is to keep it simple, use premade pieces when you can and don't be afraid to ask for help! Good Luck!

Here is my thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wood-covered-kegerator-build-267001/

Back