Red Hot Iron Inserted in Beer? Gustungling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is fantastic news - I can double the use of my branding irons! Each pint I pour will now have my ranch branded into the foam. Win-win.

Meh, I can think of worse places to put a hot poker.

That would be called "Getting an Edward" maybe? Edward II: His wife joined her lover Mortimer in deposing him: by their orders he was murdered in Berkley Castle - so legend has it, by having a red-hot poker thrust up his anus.

My dad has talked about this hot poker in the beer thing before.. he told stories about it from when we were in Germany (He was stationed there was I was about 2 circa 1983)

Zombie thread!

I'm a little surprised by the attitudes in general. One reason I love brewing so much is to try new things.

A tiny little brewery in SE Iowa used to do this every year with their Bock, in mid fall. They'd get a chunk of cast iron hot, then dunk it in.

It was incredible! They'd just dunk it for a few seconds, so you still get a 50 degree beer.

Roasty and chocolatey. It was freaking awesome.

ETA, I believe the recipie is in north American clone brews. It's the stein bock, from stone city, I believe.

How did I? I mean, I was reading the "Today's Posts" section at the top of the page and this was within the first two pages...

Sorry for raising the dead!

I'm surprised only one person mentioned mulling. Which is what the practice of sticking a hot poker into a drink is called in English. My dad used to do it sometimes in the winter. As we had an open coal fire, pretty simple to do.

This is also similar to a traditional flip. Beer, some batter (usually proprietary but often including egg, sugar, spices), and a fortifying spirit. The flip was then scalded with a red hot iron.

I don't understand why people call this stuff a gimmick. If it is fun and tastes good then who cares? Get off the high pony and live a bit.

Back