3 full kegs and only 2 gas lines...Is it OK to take a keg off CO2 for a while?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
Haha, what a First World Problem...So what am I to do? I plan to keg a 3rd beer tonight, and I only have 2 gas lines off my tank. My other 2 kegs are happily carbed and being drunk at the moment, but now I am wondering how to initially carb this new beer and not ruin the other 2. And taking the next step, this means I'll have 3 carbed kegs but only 2 ways to dispense. Whaqt do I do?

Just take one off CO2 and spend the next couple weeks carbonating the new one, and then just switch off and on at my leisure? What's the process for this, and do I risk infecting or un-carbonating any of these kegs switching between one another?

Yeah I do it all the time. One gas line, two kegs, no splitter, just manually switch the lines.

So short answer, after you get them carbed up, the kegs are just fine and stop worrying, right? :)

Yes, once they are carbed they won't absorb any more co2. So you don't need to keep the co2 on unless you drink a pint.

I as a general practice leave the beer off the co2 line, or if on the line, with the co2 shut off. Drink a couple, turn the gas back on for 15 seconds, then off again.

By doing this, I find out quickly (without wasting 4/5/20# of co2) that the keg is leaking gas (usually because the lid wasn't sealed quite right.) Nothing like losing close to 20# of co2 once to learn that lesson!

I had the same issue, 3 kegs, and 1 gas, I switched around until I got a 3 gas line splitter (great investment by the way ) from Northern Brewer about $40 I think. Didn't have an issue, until I lost pressure by having a leak in my line. You'llbe fine!

copyright1997 said:
I as a general practice leave the beer off the co2 line, or if on the line, with the co2 shut off. Drink a couple, turn the gas back on for 15 seconds, then off again.

By doing this, I find out quickly (without wasting 4/5/20# of co2) that the keg is leaking gas (usually because the lid wasn't sealed quite right.) Nothing like losing close to 20# of co2 once to learn that lesson!

Wouldn't it make more sense to just find the leak and fix it? If you have a lid that isn't sealing then you are going to have flat beer

Wouldn't it make more sense to just find the leak and fix it? If you have a lid that isn't sealing then you are going to have flat beer

Yes. :)

I have 11 kegs and 11 lids to those kegs. Sometimes, the lid doesn't quite get a great seal and needs to be reversed, add some keg lube, o-ring replaced or even switched with another keg. I like to find that out before I notice it's been leaking for 3 days with my co2 attached.

Also, since I have multiple kegs attached to the same co2 (via a distributor), I like to know which of the set is having the issue. And so on.

Back